FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: I-10 to M-1sa conversion

I-10 to M-1sa conversion 10 years 5 months ago #2090

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Got the motor out of the spectrum shell and did another mock up. The I-10 boiler was a little too snug over the metal core, but there are spacers inside the shell that are easy to shave down for better fit.

The main issue with re-applying the smoke box will be grinding off that little shelf at the bottom front of the weight.

Last Edit: 9 years 6 months ago by MrBill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I-10 to M-1sa conversion 10 years 5 months ago #2182

• MrBill
  • Conductor
After a lot of research i found that Cal Scale has the correct Raggonet power reverse for the M1.

Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by MrBill.

I-10 to M-1sa conversion 10 years 4 months ago #2287

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
You can do it! Keep up the good work. The hard part is done. The first boiler cut! Now you have nothing to lose and everything to gain including experience!!!
Daniel J Mohr

I-10 to M-1sa conversion 9 years 6 months ago #3596

• MrBill
  • Conductor
Making some headway. Got the protrusions on the weight cut off, and the smokebox carved out so it will sit over the cylinder pipes of the spectrum chassis. I was Going to try and use the pilot off the old Bachmann (w/o the ladders), but am now leaning toward keeping the spectrum one, and add some detail to it, mainly because it has the coupler done already. Going to order a new trailing truck from Bachmann.

Last Edit: 9 years 6 months ago by MrBill.

I-10 to M-1sa conversion 9 years 3 months ago #3961

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Mr. Bill and I talked back and fourth on this for a while, discussed options on how to do the boiler build, and came up with a pretty simple idea. Now, having the Wiswesser "O" scale drawing to work with made life easier, and combining two Bachmann I-10 shells work progressed. The first batch of photos show the initial stages. There is approximately a scale 6'6" addition to the smoke box from the donor boiler. There was 9" removed from between the sand and steam dome of permanent boiler. When I cut the firebox I left 2'9" on the permanent boiler, then used a full firebox from the donor and grafted together. I used simple ABS glue found in the plumbing dept of any hardware store. An important note, I left the detail intact strictly for re-alignment. Enjoy!!!

Bill
Attachments:

I-10 to M-1sa conversion 9 years 3 months ago #3962

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
A few more details, I shaved some metal off each side of the frame, opened up a groove for future wiring, and as the micrometer shows .802 makes for a nice easy slip fit of the shell. The glue I used to attach each piece, and some careful cuts yield a superb job!

Bill
Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements