FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: HO Reading E-5 from proto 2000 0-8-0

HO Reading E-5 from proto 2000 0-8-0 9 years 8 months ago #3413

• Wowak
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 8
Looking great as always.
Building O-scale models of Reading steam power

brianwowak.wordpress.com/
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HO Reading E-5 from proto 2000 0-8-0 9 years 8 months ago #3415

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57
Got rivets done today, not too much of a look shift but time consuming. Moved pictures to the spray booth because my camera was refusing to focus, it did better but not perfect.

HO Reading E-5 from proto 2000 0-8-0 9 years 8 months ago #3419

• Casey
  • Conductor
Was going for getting a bunch done this weekend and got more then I thought I would done. With structures done and rivets on its time for final details.

I started with the tender which mostly handrails. Water hatch handles, back handrail and cut lever were placed.

Front is just the railings to get up.

Next the engine front got done. The smokebox step, cut lever, boiler struts, front hand rail and a bit of an extension for the air hose was placed. Also grab irons for the sand dome were put on visible in the picture.

Sanders were next.

This is to show that an extension to the bottom of the cab is needed for the injector lifters.

Then the injector pipe went to the check valve, also the power reverse linkage was fleshed out which needed to be done at this point before being pretty covered by air lines.

Now there is the air lines. The top of the 3 under the firebox goes to the back of the air tank under the power reverse. The middle and bottom lines go up and over the power reverse one goes to the air hose the other I'm not sure what it does but for the model they get stuffed behind the air tank and end. The 4 step on the front air tank comes from the fireman's side front air tank and starts at the top of the section the bottom part goes to the front of the air tank. The back of that font air tank goes behind the valve gear hanger then loops on the air tank to go in to the front of the tank under the power reverse.

Dome throttle linkage and whistle were installed too.

Then the side hand rails were put on, they are always last to not have to stuff things under them.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JoannaBill

HO Reading E-5 from proto 2000 0-8-0 9 years 7 months ago #3428

• Casey
  • Conductor
The fireman's side starts the same ways as the engineers. The sanders are placed and the injector line goes over top the sanders down to the injector lifter. The line ducks behind the air compressor on the way. The line is actually 2 pieces with the cut hidden there to make it easier to install in smaller pieces. The linkage for the blowdown rom the cab is placed too. The placement of the blowdown opening is really consistently in that spot on a lot of the end cab Reading engines. It is a piece that comes with cal scale washer plugs.

This step is the steam in and out of the air compressor. In being top right, out being top left. The in come from the steam turret on top of the boiler and has the governor taken from the original proto details placed on the way. The steam out comes out and duck behind the air tank and basically ends there for the model.

A lot of real steam engines the exhaust is piped into the smoke box which sort of acts as a big muffler. A somewhat common and easily found on youtube that does not have this set up is a Chinese SY where the compressor exhaust pipe is set just behind the smoke stack and is very apparent when the compressor is pumping.

Heres a little side tip/explination: how I do 4 high, or more, air cooling lines. I make brackets in .010 and do it in 2 parts. I do the first 180 degree turn and put the brackets on loose and push them to the bend and then ben back the brass to make the second turn. I then trim the line to just fit into the bracket or as close to half as I can get, then make the third turn out of another piece and slip on to the assembly.

The complete piece to fit the engine. It when on and off the engine dozens of times to tweak and fit.

Then the piece went on the engine, it goes from air out (bottom left) of the compressor to the back of the air tank. The front of the air tank gets a small brass line that comes out and goes to under the boiler "meeting up" with the line on the engineer's side mentioned in the last post.

The Reading signature across the boiler pipe was put on over the injector lines from the steam turret, which is one piece and complex to bend right. Still not quite sure what it does, if I had to guess it would be something for blower controls which works the draft in the firebox. The had rails were installed last, hard to see in most pictures there does seem to be a bend in the hand rail around the awkward placement of the injector line. It comes strait and at most angles just looks like a strait line. Junction box and line to the headlight were also placed.

Now there is painting and a couple finishing things like the bell and whistle ropes. (and maybe a couple more details like the electric junction box on the cab that goes to handrail powering the headlight I just saw I forgot) To see this you will have to wait until October when I post it, or go to the Reading Modeler Meet II!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg-barry

HO Reading E-5 from proto 2000 0-8-0 9 years 7 months ago #3431

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
It's beautiful, Casey. I can't wait to see it when it's painted. You're truly a ferro equine (iron horse) artist! I wish that the Reading Modeler Meet didn't coincide with our vacation (again!).
Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Robin.

HO Reading E-5 from proto 2000 0-8-0 9 years 7 months ago #3435

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Outstanding work Casey...I applaud your efforts...keep them coming.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October 8, 1958
The diesel facilities and shop at Newberry Junction are destroyed by fire, and are rebuilt the following year.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements