FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!
  • Page:

TOPIC: GH series Fishbelly Gondolas

GH series Fishbelly Gondolas 8 years 2 months ago #5078

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
New bash started last nite. These are the Bethlehem gons based on the B&O 0-59. Made out of "varney" or whatever other brand of 40 foot train set gon you can get cheap at a Swap Meet. I believe the first Reading incarnation of this car was the GHh of 1941. Similar versions through classes GHm/n basically only varied in end style and rib length over the fishbelly part of the side sheet. Other roads that used this 52'-6" IL gon were the WM, CNJ, and LV.

[/
Last Edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by MrBill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GH series Fishbelly Gondolas 8 years 2 months ago #5086

• MrBill
  • Conductor

.010 Sides are glued on then .040 filler between the core halves.

Top plate on core is cut back about 3 feet on each side to provide some overlap for the fill piece (.030 x .080). Kind of too fat for scale, but good enough for this piece.

Then floor is filled in with .060 backed up and spliced over with a piece of .010 on the bottom. I plan to glue washers underneath for weight.

I figured I'd have some problems getting the side sheets aligned so that the car was square which I did, so I had to take a sliver out of one side sheet before glueing in the side splices, then pressed the sides down flush on my work surface as the glue was setting.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by MrBill.

GH series Fishbelly Gondolas 8 years 2 months ago #5088

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Hey, Bill--Are those fixed dreadnaught ends on those gondolas or the drop-down versions?--Dave

GH series Fishbelly Gondolas 8 years 2 months ago #5089

• MrBill
  • Conductor
Hi Dave, I forgot to post an end shot. This one will just have the stock fixed DN ends.

GH series Fishbelly Gondolas 8 years 2 months ago #5090

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
Thanks for the end shot, Bill. I like this bash. Might look for a couple old Varney gondolas at the next swap meet.--Dave

GH series Fishbelly Gondolas 8 years 2 months ago #5091

• MrBill
  • Conductor
I carved off the molded on bolsters and coupler pockets and have been experimenting with replacement bolster pads. I'm trying to get it to sit as low as possible. I think some grinding of the floor bottom will be needed for wheel clearance. This also means the new coupler pockets will have to get cut deeper into the body as well.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by MrBill.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 13, 1937
The Reading places the 5-car "Crusader" streamlined passenger trainset into Philadelphia-New York service. This train increases traffic on this line by 37% in 1938.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements