FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: A U30c is born

A U30c is born 7 years 4 months ago #5668

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
The last thing I did was add strips of styrene to both sides of the frame weight to expand the bottom rear end of the hood to keep it parallel to the main hood. I used .010. I did a test fit with all components together including the frame, making sure there was nothing to adjust.

By doing the construction this way, I was able to relieve some of the stress on the Proto hood by replacing the exhaust hatch. I was also able maintain the hood lines and roof radius. The body sits vertical on the walkway with no waves and the hood length was good. In actuality, it took me less time to build the body this way than the original plan.

That’s it for the main body construction. I will follow up with this build providing brief shots of my progress. As I mentioned, I have a few other details to add to the body. I already have the frame milled for detailing; fuel tank is in progress along with the air tanks.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by rdg5310.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A U30c is born 7 years 3 months ago #5683

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
I was wrong on my previous post. The unit I was talking about was a Proto U 28/30 B. I should have checked Your postings again before I started my project. I had the same idea as your first cuts using most of the proto long hood. Well the cuts are made now. I see what you mean by the top profile the atlas is more flat. I was just going to sand the atlas edges rounder and line up the top. Well too late now. I will continue on that track. I don't have another atlas shell. If it is too hard or doesn't work out. I can always re-cut the proto hood shorter, the way you did and get a new atlas shell for the front section. Wish me luck!!! I will post some pictures when I am farther along.
Daniel J Mohr

A U30c is born 6 years 10 months ago #5927

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
As were approaching June, I've made allot of headway with the U30c project. So I decided to add some teaser photos just to keep things fresh. The frame is complete and is painted. The truck side frames are about 75 percent complete as far as detailing. The body is about 70 percent and the walkway is 80 percent complete. I will be presenting this build at the modelers meet this fall. I hope you all can attend. Enjoy the teasers.

Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by rdg5310.

A U30c is born 6 years 6 months ago #6013

• rdg5310
  • Conductor
Posting the pictures of the completed U30c. I did the clinic for this at the modelers meet. I will be doing this clinic again in the spring at the Philly NMRA meet in Valley Forge, PA. Although this project gave me some headaches during the construction, it was a fun build. With the above photos on how I built the model, it will reduce your headaches.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan

A U30c is born 6 years 6 months ago #6018

• Riggelweg
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 19
Very nice looking unit. Thanks for the pictures.

A U30c is born 5 years 6 months ago #6263

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
Those pictures look great. I backed up from the way I was going to do the body splice.I re-cut the proto shell and I went on atlas site and ordered 3 bodies for a u30c Phase 3. But I received 3 different bodies all u30c's but 2 had the headlights on the low short hood. two had a tapered section to the screened top with the exhaust stack on it and one was correct. I don't know if they were phase 2's? I also I emailed them about the walk way.They didnt show on the website. They got back to me telling me what # to use, I still could not find it on the web site. So a phone call to the guy who emailed me was in order. He said they had U30C phase 3 walk ways I ordered two and two more shells. I got the right shells this time, But I am not sure I have the right walk ways. They are marked U30C Ph 3. and they fit, except the tool boxes, there are only 6 on the LH side and the reading prints and your model pictures show 8. Did you add a pair of tool boxes to the frame/walkway or don't I still have the right walkways??? Again Great job!!!
Daniel J Mohr
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 9, 1839
The entire Main Line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad was opened.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements