FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: I-9sc Clinic

I-9sc Clinic 6 years 5 months ago #6029

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57

This is the clinic I did at the 2017 Reading Modeler's meet on building an I-9sc 2-8-0 from a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0. These were the group of 2-8-0s that were rebuilt using I-10 larger drivers from the I-10s that were themselves built into T-1s. The original idea was to just film the clinic but that didn't work out, so I doing the written version.

Step one for me is always getting the running gear looking right and running right. In the images you can see the spectrum engine torn down to the frame with running gear from an old Bachmann I-10 that will be used to rebuild the running gear. Then the rods are taken off the spectrum frame to begin work on the valve gear conversion.

The baker valve gear gets completely removed with the spectrum eccentric crank, rod and link not being used for this project. The old hanger is also cut off with the cleaned off yoke being seen sitting back on the frame ready to get the new hanger for the walsherts valve gear.

The base measurements for the new hanger come from measuring where the link sat for the baker, not having to reinvent the wheel. Drawing out the 1/4" x 1/4" squares the V shapes are drawn in with the points being centered in the space. The .040 styrene shapes are then cut out.

Everything is then assembled on the yoke.

The new hanger is then drilled for the .020 wire that will hold the walsherts link in place.

To reset the spectrum rods, the baker adjustment bar needs to be removed. The rods can then be set with the loop at the end of the small rod that was just trimmed having the .020 wire set through it. I tend to give it a quick test roll at this point as well just to make sure nothing is wrong.

The main part needed from the I-10 running gear is the eccentric crank, rod and link. This conversion is set up with the idea that no new rivets are needed to complete the running gear.

Before the replacement rods can be set the hole in the eccentric crank must be filled since it is too big for the spectrum screw. This is done by tracing the opening on a piece of .010 styrene, then cut a little over sized. When close a technique I use is to press the crank on the cut piece fairly hard to get an exact impression of the opening in which the smashed parts can be trimmed off for a perfect fit. Then super glue is used to secure it in the opening.

Now a new hole can be drilled for the spectrum screw.

The valve gear can now be set with the spectrum hardware. I-9s had a forward facing eccentric crank, I don't have a specific degree for it, I just set it based on pictures. Once set roll the frame checking for any binding that may need adjustments, the images showing the rods in the south, west, north, and east positions.

Then repeat for the other side.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

I-9sc Clinic 6 years 5 months ago #6034

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57

In this build the main boiler is still used, but that is about it. everything comes off and sanded flush to the main boiler shape except the stack, smoke box front and I try to keep the rivets on the smoke box just in front of the jacketing.

Reading engines in general have short smoke boxes, I have seen them listed as "cyclone" smoke boxes having a small area the air whips around in there harder keeping soot out. (as I have seen in a description) To shorten the Spectrum shell a marker for cutting is the first stanchion hole the red line is over.

After cut, the remaining material is taken off the back of the smoke box front leaving a thin cap to be glued back onto the shell. Some of the smaller holes on the smoke box front were filled at this point.

To get the shell back on, the metal protruding out on the lower part of the motor frame needs to be removed. Be sure to remove the light before grinding off, it will be moved to the headlight later anyway.

Now the shell fits as originally intended with a shorter smoke box.

Filling the old dome holes, pieces of .040 styrene are cut to fit the openings and fit with tape, then glued. They do not have to be perfect as everything will get putty, but they may need to be sanded down to be flush with the main boiler shape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr

I-9sc Clinic 4 years 7 months ago #6477

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
I purchased a few Older Bachman I-10s & newer bachman consolidations. and will start to make a pair of I 9's. I will let everyone how they turn out.
Daniel J Mohr
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April, 1957
The famous green "READING LINES" bridge over Shepps Dam on the Reading Belt Line (near Carpenter Steel) enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements