FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Athearn announces RDG HTw hoppers in HO

Athearn announces RDG HTw hoppers in HO 10 years 4 months ago #2438

I'd stick with the Atlas version-I think it's in the Trainman series. The MDC's (recycled as Athearn) are clunky, with hopper pockets that are too shallow and way-oversized ladders, grabs, etc. Atlas version looks like this-
www.atlastrainman.com/Images/HOFreight/H...12/20011853-B_TQ.jpg
Athearn has pawned off too may fake Rdg's with the old MDC cars-
the caboose a few years back for example, the PS2 covered hopper and "modernized" boxcar also come to mind. Not close!
Last Edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Mitch from Maine.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Athearn announces RDG HTw hoppers in HO 10 years 4 months ago #2440

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Thanks for posting that pic Mitch, the Atlas molding is a lot nicer. Somewhat close (enough for me at this point anyway, plus I have quite a few of them I got cheap years back), I think MDC was just utilizing a similar rib sided design that fit on the same metal frame as their triple offset model. From a distance they're ok, but the goofy oversized tool work on the ribs is what bugs me. So since they're not the only ones in town anymore, I'd definitely track down some of those atlas versions. Plus, the paint jobs on them are REALLY nice.
I see buy it now 3 packs on ebay for $49. Not bad.
Last Edit: 10 years 4 months ago by MrBill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mitch from Maine

Athearn announces RDG HTw hoppers in HO 10 years 4 months ago #2445

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
Rob - I have a photo I took in Mohrsville in March 1976, that is still labeled for "ORE SERVICE BETWEEN JOANNA AND BETHLEHEM" I don't know how many were stil in that service by then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr

Athearn announces RDG HTw hoppers in HO 10 years 4 months ago #2446

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Hello Group,

Thanks to all who replied to this topic and provided all the very detailed information. I’ve attached some photos of the only Model Die Casting “Roundhouse” 3 bay Reading hopper in my collection. Both Mitch’s and Bill’s comments are spot on regarding the bulkiness of the cast detail on the shell and shallow casting of the hoppers. Of course, the slope sheet bracing is missing, but that is a given considering the age or the model. Based on what I’ve read here, it looks like I’ll be tracking down some Atlas Trainman cars to buy either on the net or at the next show. I had hoped Ahearn’s announcement was for a newly tooled version of the HTw, but it probably is not. :(

Thanks again, Mark
Last Edit: 10 years 4 months ago by MarkFJ.

Athearn announces RDG HTw hoppers in HO 10 years 4 months ago #2449

Mark-hope I didn't bum you out too much--anyone can buy any model they want and I don't want to make this a nitpicker's fest like the old Atlas forum turned into--I still have a Marx HO set I got in 1963 for Christmas and still run it! It's just the folks at Athearn, Bachmann etc seem to want a lot of money for generic models. Bowser, Accurail and Atlas Trainman series offer a lot of accuracy for a lower price range-especially given Accurail and Bowser are kits, as are some Trainman. Exactrail, etc make great models and are well worth the price if that's how much detail you want. But Bachmann charging what they do (and Athearn RTR it seems) for Exactrail, etc, prices, seems a bit out there...So if I was overbearing in my criticism of the MDC car, I didn't mean to be that way! I appreciate your attention to detail on the new releases you've posted on!
Last Edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Mitch from Maine.

Athearn announces RDG HTw hoppers in HO 10 years 4 months ago #2451

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Photo taken in Pottstown on 30 DEC 1982, making the paint job about 25 years old.
HTw_0005.jpg
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 24, 1859
A new terminal opened at Broad and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia, north of the old facility at Cherry Street.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements