FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Golden Gate Flat Cars

Golden Gate Flat Cars 10 years 1 month ago #2865

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
I have been wanting to model a few of these cars in HO, luckily for those who model this scale we can cut down a Walthers USRA gondola. My modeling focus is the 1950's when a few of these were still found roaming around in revenue service. The "Bee Line" summer 1987 gives some good insight, especially P.13 lower right photo is what I am after. My guess is when these were shopped and upgraded brakes were applied the paint scheme changed and lasted till scrapping or MOW service. Does anyone have a good broadside photo? I have hit a real roadblock when it comes correctly modeling these cars during this great era, Bill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Golden Gate Flat Cars 10 years 1 month ago #2867

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
We had a thread going about these on the old site. Could you scan and post that pic? I think tom can ok it. All my current walthers 46 footers are staying gons, but I would like some pre-mow gg flats eventually too. The general concensus was that they were painted black with roman lettering.
Last Edit: 10 years 1 month ago by MrBill.

Golden Gate Flat Cars 10 years 1 month ago #2875

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Here is mine.... converted to MOW. Not quite done, need to finish up.
Also the prototype sitting in Reading.

DSCN3281.JPG

96611.jpg

Look up the Bee Line article by John Hall in the Summer 1987 Vol. IX #2 issue.

Golden Gate Flat Cars 10 years 1 month ago #2876

• Rob
I am also thinking that the 96611 is at Hamburg (or in the collection somewhere) and also "Scrap car #1" is also at Hamburg. While I cannot remember the original number this is USRA Gon and in original condition except the two panels that were cut out on each side. (I have a photo of that floating around somewhere - I'll put it on my to be scanned list.

Golden Gate Flat Cars 10 years 1 month ago #2878

• Rob
Original RDG 23016 at Reading, PA Storehouse. I believe this was rescued and should be somewhere in the RCT&HS collection. The sides were cut out to provide access by tow-motors via a bridge plate. Also note the oval cutouts, possibly for access to valves on cement containers.
Scanned_0024.jpg
Last Edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Rob.

Golden Gate Flat Cars 10 years 1 month ago #2885

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
A change of plans in the shop sent me past Hamburg today, and Rob you are correct. The FMdx 96611 is located right in front of the Hamburg depot. I unfortunately did not have a camera with, but the car is basically a steel shell and the paint is way too deteriorated to make a clue as to prior paint scheme.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements