FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Reading Auxillary Tenders

Reading Auxillary Tenders 9 years 11 months ago #3172

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
I was asked by a fellow forum member about this subject. You would remember the posts about the fire train conversions which utilized the 7000 gallon tender for a starting point. With no overhead shots that I know of for these versions, why not look at the converted I-8 8000 gallon tenders instead. I have always wanted to replicate one of these for my layout so the quest began. Luckily there was an article in the Bee Line years ago lots of good info, still no good overhead shots. My search continued. Last fall I made it my point to take some detail photos of the R&N tender they have. I didn't get the serial number, but that is I-8 heritage if there ever was. So here are some action shots to share!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Auxillary Tenders 9 years 11 months ago #3173

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Now part two. In July/August 1943 the Reading did a study in water stops for mainline freights, and along come these conversions. With great luck the coal region has the Mahanoy tunnel for that mysterious question, how did the top look? As I showed the R&N tender has a steel walk, not something customary pre WWII and so in a photo below clearly shows that wood was the medium used then sometime possibly in wreck train service the steel upgrade was made. I also included a few photos of mine that
I started earlier this year and simply forgot about it. Go figure!

Reading Auxillary Tenders 9 years 10 months ago #3223

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
awesome work! both in the model and finding the pictures!! I made my tender with the apex roofwalk as it was during the 1950s for wreck train service, and used the I10sa tender. Thanks for the information!! I also want to build a second tender for the fire train possibly using the I8 tenders.
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements