FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Modeling banjo signals

Modeling banjo signals 7 years 5 months ago #5663

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
rdgfan wrote:
I am interested in modeling the banjo signals used on the Reading. The NMRA bulletin years ago had a diagram (from Railroad Magazine) of the signal with all the necessary sizes. Several photos I have show the signal on a mast. From the photos, it appears that the signal had an opening in the back side to allow light to enter and pass through the color discs to show the signal indication from the front. Was this the only light source during the day? Were the colors displayed only red and green, or did some also display yellow? What was used to light the signals for night operation? Also there was a small 5" lens at the top, above the main 18" lens. How was this used and for what indications? Are there any commercial signals available?

Bill (rdgfan)

Bill,
You wouldn't by any chance have a scanned copy of that would you? I'm currently doing some research on the banjo signals and would like to replicate one in 1:87 scale. I'll be getting a 3d printer soon so I would like to try and mess with that a little bit.

Thanks,
Nick D.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Modeling banjo signals 7 years 5 months ago #5669

• rdgfan
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 2
Nick,
I don't have a scanned copy of the NMRA bulletin diagrams, but if can send me your name and address, I will make a paper copy and sent it to you. I think this can be done by private message, but I'm not sure how it works.
Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rdgrail

Modeling banjo signals 7 years 5 months ago #5670

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
Go to rrsignalpix.com and click on the documents page. There you will find original pamphlets from the Hall Signal Company maker of the Banjo Signal.
The discs were originally only 1 and it was red for a stop indication. When the disc swung out of the way it gave a clear indication as there were no disc in the window. Just natural light. So that was green. ((that is where we get the phrase "clear indication" that we still use today)
Later they were set up for a 2 disc operation that had both a red disc and a green disc. Only 2 indications were available. If you
wanted to display a yellow (caution) signal. You had to have 2 signals. One over the other. Top one would be Red and bottom signal would be green for stop at next signal.
This was displayed in the larger bottom window. Lower hole on back of signal was to let in natural light to illuminate disc.
Top hole on back of signal was to mount a lantern to illuminate the signal for night time operation.
The website signalpix.com is run by a buddy of mine who happens to love the Hall Signal. He has done a lot of research on them and has documented several that are still in existence. He plans on making a full size replica himself which would be easy as the signal body is made from wood. He will use a semaphore motor to change the disc indications.

Modeling banjo signals 7 years 4 months ago #5672

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
Hey Bill,
I sent you a pm with my info. It should be in your inbox. Thank you again, this should help help greatly!

Nick

Modeling banjo signals 7 years 3 months ago #5717

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Ran across a forgotten photo I picked up at a RCT&HS swap meet long ago, I believe in Morgantown, PA. First two are blow ups of the signal itself and the third the entire photo. Photo is marked "Waiting disposition in Rutherford Yard, Harrisburg". Hope the photos come across clear.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by HoboPiker.

Modeling banjo signals 7 years 3 months ago #5719

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
Oh wow that's a great shot of the back, or at least that's what it looks like. From what I'm told the backs were painted black. This helps a lot, thank you!

Nick
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 23, 1955
The Blandon Low Grade line enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements