FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: RDG Alco RS3 brass model survey

RDG Alco RS3 brass model survey 7 years 11 months ago #5293

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
This past week I reconnected with an RR acquaintance in the Rochester area who does much of the design work for company that produces brass locomotives. Their RDG Trainmasters sold out. Now the Alco RS3 is in the works, and we thought the members of this community could be surveyed to see what versions of the diesel have the most interest--As delivered version with the lengthwise stack or the 1954 modified version with the crosswise stack? Pullman Green or green and yellow paint scheme? Freight or passenger? DC, DCC ready, or TCS WOW Sound equipped? Any other suggestions? Multiple versions can be offered.

My vote is for a post 1954 passenger version in the Pullman Green scheme, DCC and sound.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.--Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RDG Alco RS3 brass model survey 7 years 11 months ago #5294

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
how about #480-499 with dynamic brakes.
Butch Curll

RDG Alco RS3 brass model survey 7 years 11 months ago #5295

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Would like bras detail parts to include the dynamic brake exhaust, steam generator intake and exhaust, signal box and the extra equipment box at the cab on the fireman's side of the long hood. Archer makes a louver vent decal set that is perfect for detailing the dynamic brake intake louvers on the sides of the short hood.

As to the brass model, correct fuel tanks to match the road number.

RDG Alco RS3 brass model survey 7 years 10 months ago #5375

Well, I'll throw my hat in the ring with my 2 cents inside. I grew up in the Philly area in the 50's and 60's. When I saw the RS-3's at work switching, I could have sworn on a stack of Bibles that they were as black as the coal they hauled. But alas, it was dirt I guess. Were they ever painted black at any time in their useful lives on the Reading?
Well, back to the request. I would like to see a freight version and a passenger version. Let us modelers add what we'd like. We're all so different. DCC and sound would be a definite plus or at least set up easy enough to receive both. I currently am rebuilding an old Hobbytown RS-3. It's lots of fun to watch it go from it's old dirty boxed state to a newly painted (Pullman Green)passenger engine. It's downfall is the old power mechanism of a 5 pole motor and brass flywheel. It'll run ok and it'll be a good locomotive.
I worked as a brakeman on the D&H starting in 74. They still ran the RS-3's on the Adirondack as well in switching and local frt. service. They were a joy to just listen to their great sound only a true RR junkie of ALCO's could appreciate. They still had end running boards we rode upon,.
I tend to go on and on so here I'll close the windows and doors and tie on a handbrake but I'll leave her running just to hear the ALCO engine churtle along.
Attachments:
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket

RDG Alco RS3 brass model survey 7 years 10 months ago #5379

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
They came in a dark green car body with everything below the body being black. While dark green, it was lighter than the Pennsy's Dark Green Locomotive Enamel (DGLE) paint and a warmer shade than Pullman green. RDG's ALCOs never were all black.

RDG Alco RS3 brass model survey 7 years 10 months ago #5385

I agree with your color scheme. They always looked black to me as a kid growing up in Philly but I admit I probably didn't wipe off the grime with a rag to see the hidden beauty of green.
When I completed my first Pullman Green in Floquil 2 it looked way to shiny. I'll apply the decals and later airspray it with Dullcote Lacquer hoping and praying it will resemble the proper color and finish. It'll be a passenger locomotive so above the trucks I won't apply any weathering touches. I'll lightly spray the trucks with a light ballast color of gray to show its' use flying down the groomed ballasted light gray right of way. It should be good. I'll send you pix to get your opinion. Thanks. :whistle:
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

November 14, 1948
Service on the "Schuylkill" Main Line train to Pottsville is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements