FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Hershey Chocolate Factory Information

Hershey Chocolate Factory Information 6 years 9 months ago #5947

Hi all,

I'm trying to find some information about the Hershey Chocolate factory, in particular what loads were regularly shipped via the Reading. I've decided to model the plant on my layout and need a little more information on the rail served side of it all.

I realise that Cocoa Beans would have been the biggest, but does anyone have any other information on what was shipped and quantities by rail? Ideally a manifest of some description would be ideal.

Thanks Jason.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hershey Chocolate Factory Information 6 years 9 months ago #5949

• RobHinkle
  • Freight Agent
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Jason,

I've been researching the operations of the Hershey Chocolate Factory for a while now, and haven't ever been able to find any records of actual numbers of cars in and out of the plant.

I've been searching eBay and other sources for anything that contains the word Hershey in relationship to Railroads and I was lucky enough to find the October 26th, 1959 copy of Railway Age (cover below) that has a story about the 11,000 cars a year the plant used.

Here's a brief recap of what the article mentions. Most of the raw materials arrive via the rail and there's a 50/50 chance that it was shipped that way as well.

What Comes In

Cocoa Beans - Imported (in order of importance) from Ghana, Brazil, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, French Cameroons, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Venezuela, Mexico, Trinidad, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Haiti, the New Hebrides Sumatra and Java. The beans come in bags of about 140 lbs each, by ocean freighter about two thirds to Philadelphia, most of the rest to New York and then via rail to Hershey. More that three quarters of each year's supply is received from December through March.

Sugar - comes by ship, but mostly through Baltimore, from offshore refineries in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. It too moves by rail packed in 100 lb bags.

Milk - purchased through local farmers, and transferred to the plant via Hershey own tank trucks.

Corn syrup - received in Tank Cars from Illinois and Iowa.

Peanuts - come from the Southwest or by truck or rail from the South.

Almonds - reach Hershey by rail from southern California or come from foreign countries depending on the availability of supplies.

Coal - for factory power is bought in West Virginia and moves by Rail.

Packaging Materials - tin plate for cans, paper for wrappers, boxes, cartons, etc. are drawn from a variety of points throughout the East, reach Hershey mostly by rail but sometimes by truck.

Lumping it all together - coal, cocoa beans, sugar, tin and all the rest about 95% of Hershey's total receipts (by weight) come by rail.

What Goes Out

Hershey products include chocolate bars, cocoa, syrup, etc. for consumer use; cocoa powder, cocoa butter, fudge, chocolate coatings, and related items for home and industrial use.

Distribution covers the United States, but except on some shipments for government installations overseas, is confined to the United States including Alaska and Hawaii.

The traffic department routes about 50% of all outbound shipments by rail, mostly in the more than 250 insulated RB type box cars which Hershey leases from North American Car Corporation and which carry their own reporting symbol "HERX". This fleet is adequate for normal needs, but occasionally during peak shipping seasons, the railroads may be asked to furnish additional card.

Most outbound shipments either by rail or truck, go to 27 warehouse points scattered throughout the country in leased space or in public warehouses under supervision or a local Hershey distribution manager and clerical force.

Rob Hinkle
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by RobHinkle.

Hershey Chocolate Factory Information 6 years 9 months ago #5952

• RobHinkle
  • Freight Agent
  • Thank you received: 9
Magazine Cover
HersheyCover.jpeg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan

Hershey Chocolate Factory Information 6 years 8 months ago #5976

Thanks Rob, that is brilliant it gives me somewhere to start from and a few I didn't even think of.

Your right to it's hard to find anything on the plant, I've been lucky enough to find the track charts and some food reference photos to begin with. For reference I'm modelling the era from 1970 to around 1975.

If I do manage to find anything else I'll also let you know too. Jas...
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by JLandT Railroad.
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 24, 1949
Service on the "King Coal" train from Philadelphia to Shamokin is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements