FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bowser Baldwin AS-16 Models

Bowser Baldwin AS-16 Models 6 years 7 months ago #5999

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Last week Bowser's web site announced the latest run with ESU LOK sound are in. Now the wait for the LHS to receive them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bowser Baldwin AS-16 Models 6 years 7 months ago #6007

• Allan
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 14
What type of horn did the Reading use on the AS16? I've been looking through various articles and haven't come up with that piece of trivia, but Bowser (or Lok Sound) offers several options.

Bowser Baldwin AS-16 Models 6 years 7 months ago #6009

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
"No soap" locating the horn type used on these units. Neither the company's locomotive drawings reprinted in the RCT&HS's large format book of drawings nor Dale W's Vol. 1 on the Reading diesels list horn types. Have yet to peruse the Bee Line volumes for an AS-16 article. What maybe of help is that the RS-1, RS-2 and RS-3 locomotives' horns all sounded the same, notably different from the rest of the road units. From photos, the horns of the three RS classes all have a three trumpet clusters with slight differences. Hopefully, some one in the group has the answer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan

Bowser Baldwin AS-16 Models 6 years 7 months ago #6010

• Allan
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 14
Thanks!

Bowser Baldwin AS-16 Models 6 years 7 months ago #6011

• DSpohn
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 7
The consensus from a brief discussion on Facebook concerning this topic was the M3 was the best option from those to choose from.

Bowser Baldwin AS-16 Models 6 years 6 months ago #6019

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
With the advent of sound for our models we all want the proper horn programmed. It's been said that the RDG used all Leslie horns so I been researching trying to find what specific horn type was on each RDG locomotive...so far this is what I found.
According to Diesel Era Volume 2 Number 5 Sept/Oct 1991 Reading Baldwin AS-16...
" Horns used on all of the AS-16's are Nathan M31T's. This is described as a Nathan M3 horn with (1) reversed trumpet bell that tilted upward. The rear trumpet bell is also oval instead of round. The reason for the shape and tilt becomes apparent when the horn shown applied to the front of the cab of the RS-3."
My Question?... Did the RDG's RS-3's also have the Nathan M3Tilt?

Not to go off the AS-16 topic but researching I found horn information concerning the C424 and GP7 units.
According to the Bee Line Vol.XIII No.4 for 1991 an article Reading's First Centuries by Steve Schwarts the C424's were equipped with Leslie S-3LR horns.
Lastly, Vol.1 First Generation Geeps The Hard Coal Carriers by Gerard E. Bernet has the RDG freight units equipped with the Leslie SL-3R...so is a Leslie SL-3R the same as the 424's S-3LR? I would assume so but you know what they say about assuming.
The passenger geeps were listed has having the Nathan P-3 horn
AS-16's RS2/2b Nathan M3Tilt
C424's RSA-14 Leslie S-3LR
GP7 RS3 Leslie SL-3R
Gp7 RS3b Nathan P-3

Hope the info helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements