FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Bachmann Reading Crane

Bachmann Reading Crane 6 years 6 months ago #6041

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
I would say maybe look into Tichy Train?? I think they might sell a tender flat for their crane, but I think with some minor kitbashing it might look right.

- Nick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bachmann Reading Crane 6 years 6 months ago #6042

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
In the photo Nick posted earlier, the boom tender class FMdx is a super easy kit-bash. All you need is a Walthers 46' USRA gondola, cut the sides down leaving about an 1/8" above the decking, add a strip of styrene to cap the newly shortened sides, done! That car was an old "Golden Gate Flat", that then found it's way into TOFC service. The RCT&HS has one in their collection, and there is a write up in one of the Bee Line magazines years back.

Bill

Bachmann Reading Crane 6 years 6 months ago #6043

• crrcoal
  • Brakeman
Thanks Bill!

Bachmann Reading Crane 6 years 5 months ago #6044

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
OK major rewrite. I found the photo so whatever was posted by me before is different.
Reading5.jpg

This is just a 50 foot Athearn flat with stuff added.

If memory serves me correct, the car this was modeled after is also in the RCT&HS collection. This (HO) car has been floating around since the 80's, before the potentially more accurate Walthers and or Tichy cars came out. Good enough for me.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Rob.

Bachmann Reading Crane 6 years 5 months ago #6045

• crrcoal
  • Brakeman
Great pic! Thanks Rob. This puts things into perspective.

So the crane itself; smokestack need to be cut down/removed? Any other mods? How many of these cranes did Reading have? 2?

Thanks!!

Bachmann Reading Crane 6 years 5 months ago #6046

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Reading had 3 150Ton cranes.

90901 & 90902 were diesel stationed in Rutherford and Erie Ave., Philly. Off the top of my head I would not wish to say which was which.

90906 was steam powered and worked out of Reading.

The typical Relief train had a baggage- Tool car, combine- Rider car, flat car based block car, and a flat car based idler car and of course the Crane. The 90906 had a water bottle with it for obvious reasons. That started out as a converted tender but then migrated to a tank car, which looked like a tank siting on a flat car (I believe that car is now down at Strasburg RR)

Obviously the Steam crane had a stack, it was not obvious to the eye from the ground and may have involved some sort of manifold which can be seen on rear photos of the 90906.

The 2 diesels had mufflers on each side near the top rear. One of these cranes, the 90901 is in Hamburg at the RCT&HS museum.

Rob
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 1, 1953
The last Hall "banjo-style" signals are removed from service, and are replaced with color-light signals.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements