FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: When did the Anthracite herald appear on hopper?

When did the Anthracite herald appear on hopper? 6 years 6 months ago #6055

• rdgfan
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 2
The Anthracite herald used on the hopper car fleet was very visible . I would like to know when it was first used and if it would be correct for a transition (steam to diesel) layout.

Bill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

When did the Anthracite herald appear on hopper? 6 years 6 months ago #6056

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Off hand, I do not recall the year it first appeared, but you are safe to use it for the transition years and a bit beyond. The herald survived long enough to be seen on hoppers with speed lettering after the speed lettering had replace the RR Roman lettering. Strange that it was done at all as Anthracite coal had long since been surpassed by cross line traffic as the road's major haulage. Gas and heating oil were rapidly replacing coal for both residential and commercial heating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdgfan

When did the Anthracite herald appear on hopper? 6 years 5 months ago #6057

• DSpohn
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 7
the rolling stock reference has a picture of a composite hopper build during WW2 with the herald on it. So it would be easy enough to compare that time period to the period you want to model

When did the Anthracite herald appear on hopper? 6 years 5 months ago #6058

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
In 1962, Reading acquired 400 class HTz hoppers for use at Cornwall and Joanna. These hoppers did not have the anthracite herald. Neither did the HTx cars rebuilt from earlier offset-side cars in 1959. I have seen photos of the HTl and HTn cars with the Anthracite Herald. Iirc they were built in the late 20's or early 30's.

When did the Anthracite herald appear on hopper? 6 years 5 months ago #6059

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
To go along with this, Somewhere in those archives of Reading materials hopefully in the library and not migrated to someone's private collection is a pack of "blueprints" with proposed variations of the "Antracite" herald or logo. One of which touted instead of the "worlds largest anthracite hauler" had the crusader logo in the diamond area and around said diamond, stated "The Route of the Crusader." There were other slogans also, but that is the one that stuck with me. I saw this at the first "reorganization" meeting held at Craig Bossler's corner apartment across from the Engineering building - my guess would be, back in 1977 or 78. So the memory is excused.

Thus my best guess at a start date for the logo would be during the popularity of the Crusader, definitely pre SPEED lettering.

But wait there's more.
Back on cold New Years Eve, I believe 1981 (but may have been 1983) Back when I thought we needed to look for every Reading freight car and document the Conrail to Reading transition numbering, I was walking a line of gondolas sitting on a siding in Pottstown looking for Readings and jotting down numbers. It was nearly dark and I get to the end of that line and inside the fence at the former Steel plant there I see a string of whitelined HTw hoppers, and before my very eyes....... two Anthracite heralds staring back at me. Well Holy Shitsky Batman. I was impressed as I had been seriously railfanning/researching the Reading for about 5 or 6 years and never dreamt that I would see or take that picture.

Turned out the cars were being rebuilt and shipped out of the country by a rebuilder using the steel mill as a base of operation. I believe that was Eastern Car Builders, or something to that effect.

I'll post those photos as soon as the memory and the pictures end up at the same place and same time. SO you have a pretty broad range of being able to use that paint scheme on your layout.

Oh and all those long walks through yards and along sidings. several years later we got a book/printout with every Reading car number and its relative Conrail number from a insider at Conrail.

When did the Anthracite herald appear on hopper? 6 years 5 months ago #6060

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
OK so it was 1982
60792HTw30DEC1982a.jpg

Rob
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 24, 1949
Service on the "King Coal" train from Philadelphia to Shamokin is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements