FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Modeling building side signs.

Modeling building side signs. 6 years 1 month ago #6135

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Am looking for clear photos of or info. on the signage painted on the buildings along the east side of Reading Yard. This will be used for modeling the trackside faces these buildings. The Luden's plant on 8th St. and the large building at Nicolls and Oley (north side) Streets immediately behind the modern Oley Tower are two of interest. When I hired on the railroad in 1970, we were sent to Reading Safety Shoe for safety boots, which was in the southwest corner of this building. At that time, the large banner signs on its west face (White lettering and boarder on a black background.) was still readable. I have the Birdsboro Steel plant sign identified. Thank you.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HoboPiker.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Modeling building side signs. 6 years 1 month ago #6137

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Any particular era?
I guess some of these books with pictures of or around Oley Street will be the best source. When I am home tonight I will consult me meager incomplete index of book photos excel file and see what I can come up with.

Rob

Modeling building side signs. 6 years 1 month ago #6141

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
Thanks Rob. I have almost every book done on the Reading. A search of the city's industrial history also was futile. Many photos show the Oley St. building with the signs, if only they were clear enough to read them. The Luden's sign is more elusive as a plant addition covered this sign. Hung out forever on the swinging bridge seeing those signs, but for the life of me, those signs are only the vaguest memory. Modeling the transition era of the early 50s. Evan
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by HoboPiker. Reason: spelling

Modeling building side signs. 6 years 1 month ago #6143

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
I just did a quick look see in Bernhart's two new Paul Hartline books.

Ludens Menthol Cough Drop Company
Luria Brothers & Company Inc
Birdsboro Steel Foundry & Machine Co Reading Dept
Liebmans
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr

Modeling building side signs. 6 years 1 month ago #6144

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
Ludens sign -- super! Had forgotten the scrap yard was Luria Bros. Have one of the Paul Hartline books and need to get the other. Many thanks Rob.
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 24, 1859
A new terminal opened at Broad and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia, north of the old facility at Cherry Street.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements