FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wrecks on the Reading

Wrecks on the Reading 11 years 4 weeks ago #897

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
They are definately neat and we are all very grateful to both your grandfather and you for preserving them and sharing them.

Many things can be learned for prototype operations and detailing current layout projects and each statistic learned and recorded makes the puzzle more complete. The fact that one of these cars is stenciled "for bulk feed only" will match up to a list of cars that may show up as rebuilt in 1964 after the wreck, and may explain how or why a car ended up on that rebuild list or scrapped. (JWH probably has it all listed anyway. I am usually about fourteen years behind him) The 116072 box car probably ended it's career after this and for those that go that far,(those proverbial rivet counters - NO Boxcar for you!) it may not show up on a post 1964 layout or this may again explain a rebuild or repaint out of the norm.....Modelers of PN trains in around the mid sixties can certainly now justify those cool Flying "A" tank cars, etc...

Never be sorry for something shared, wow..... the clarity is great and you have the ability to staighten us out when we ask. Gotta start that sketch now...... This is what articles are made out of for here or the Bee Line.
Later
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wrecks on the Reading 11 years 2 weeks ago #1021

• Gary L
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 4
Now you did it! After looking at your pictures of the derailment I went back and found my book on Accident Investigation put out by the AAR in 1974. The book was issued to all management staff of the Reading Mechanical Department. Yes, I was the General Supervisor, Passenger for the Reading in '74 and worked out of Reading Terminal in Philly.

The book goes into a great deal of detail in explaining how the forces and dynamics of the train and the rail interact. There is a check list of things to look for to determine the cause of a wreck. There are also examples of forms to collect data from the scene. The final report of a wreck was used to determine if changes to operations, equipment or maintenance procedures were required.

While I used the information in my job on the Reading, I've found it is also useful to figure out why my HO trains derail. You might be surprised at how similar the causes can be.

Gary L.

Wrecks on the Reading 11 years 2 weeks ago #1081

• rdgraildog
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 2
Does anyone have any pictures of the one at Lees Crossroads on the P H &P.? Todd Shoffler
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April, 1957
The famous green "READING LINES" bridge over Shepps Dam on the Reading Belt Line (near Carpenter Steel) enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements