FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: RDG Coco Bean Hoppers at the CP&W

RDG Coco Bean Hoppers at the CP&W 9 years 5 months ago #3636

Hi Rob,

No I haven't seen the "Color Guide to Reading Fright and Passenger Equipment" book. Sounds like it might be a good resource for me. Now to find a copy to borrow. I have found some info that John Hall put together that was on the Rolling Stock Reference link here. It was very helpful in providing some history for the cars up until they was retired. I'll try contacting John to see if he has anything else on them.

Thanks,
Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RDG Coco Bean Hoppers at the CP&W 9 years 5 months ago #3637

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
The Rdg Color Guide by Bossler has little to offer in the line of explaining why the three cars were in Bloomsburg other than they were there from 1961 and for at least 20 years after that. There are two photos, both of the 12870. The one photo is in front of the same building as posted here, but at a slightly different angle. One photo is credited to "The Houser Collection" and the other to George A. Cazakoglu.

It is interesting to note that the cars were originally built by ACF in Berwick in 1913. Perhaps the motivation for the attempted preservation there was that they were "close" to their "birthplace."

The info from the John Hall / Norm Rhoads decal sheets indicate that cars 11600, 11801,& 12677 were converted to XMph in 1941 and were retired in 1959. 12343 was converted in 1941 and retired in 1960, 11954 was converted in 1948 and retired in 1959, and the 12870 was converted in 1948 and retired in 1960. It also notes that an A behind the road number indicated the car was equipped with Arch Bar trucks and shows an illustration of car "12343 A".

I don't see any pattern there, like 12870, 12677 and one other were all retired at the same time since the 12677 was retired in 59 and the 12870 was retired in 1960.
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Rob.

RDG Coco Bean Hoppers at the CP&W 9 years 5 months ago #3638

Does the book give the road numbers for the 3 cars at Carroll Park and Western? I know 12870 and 12677 were two of them.

RDG Coco Bean Hoppers at the CP&W 9 years 5 months ago #3640

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
No it does not, just says "half of the class" were there and the class consisted of six cars.
John Hall's info gives the six car numbers.
I listed all the relevant info I could find in my resources.
Rob

RDG Coco Bean Hoppers at the CP&W 9 years 5 months ago #3641

Thanks Rob, appriciate the info.

RDG Coco Bean Hoppers at the CP&W 9 years 4 months ago #3800

Beleive I finally tracked down the number of the third coco bean hopper that was at the CP&W.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1964
The Reading's new green and gold colors are used on 100 new boxcars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements