FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for a small colliery in the anthracite are

Looking for a small colliery in the anthracite are 9 years 4 months ago #3884

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Now the other five. As MrBill mentioned the South Tamaqua Coal Pockets, it is in full operation, although very very close to former Reading tracks it was never serviced by rail, strictly truck for raw coal, slate removal, and finished retail product. There is Premium Fine Coal a few miles down the road, which just had its siding replaced to truck load hoppers, but that isn't really what you were after Turbo.

Bill
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for a small colliery in the anthracite are 9 years 4 months ago #3886

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Wow even without a backdrop that looks eerily real! Very impressive crasftmanship! Thanks for the pictures. I looked up the Dando colliery and didn't find too much, mostly british stuff. Anyone have info on it?

Looking for a small colliery in the anthracite are 9 years 4 months ago #3893

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
A little digging produced some online info by Fred Phillips himself:

www.susquehannanmra.org/newsletters/2014/SS0314.pdf

Since you're an N scaler you ought to consider doing a version of the Saint Nicholas breaker. The geometry doesn't look to awfully difficult and the immediate yard trackage is less intense than Locust Summit. Plus there are tons of pics online to work from.
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by MrBill.

Looking for a small colliery in the anthracite are 9 years 4 months ago #3894

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Here are some photos of a small independent operation called Live Oaks that was on Rt. 901 a mile north of Minersville. Now, not serviced by rail, it gives an idea as to how smaller operations look like, sort of cobbled together.

Looking for a small colliery in the anthracite are 9 years 4 months ago #3895

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
MrBill wrote:
A little digging produced some online info by Fred Phillips himself:

www.susquehannanmra.org/newsletters/2014/SS0314.pdf

Since you're an N scaler you ought to consider doing a version of the Saint Nicholas breaker. The geometry doesn't look to awfully difficult and the immediate yard trackage is less intense than Locust Summit. Plus there are tons of pics online to work from.

Thanks for the link! that is a nifty little breaker!

My layout is on a hollow core door, so the reason for a little 2-tracker is to not use the whole door for a breaker haha!

I do hpwever plan to build a full size Locust Summit when I get my "forever home" (I move every 2-4 years in thh Air Force, so I gotta wait til I retire).

My ideal goal in N is to do a minimally compressed Locust Summit and Gordon layout, probably on two levels. I'd love to be able to showcase a 100-hopper train with N1 pushers up the Frackville grade! In N, in a basement, this woould be feasible! On a hollow core door, not so much!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

October, 1964
The Reading's new green and gold colors are used on 100 new boxcars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements