FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Reading yard north to tuckerton Rd

Reading yard north to tuckerton Rd 5 years 2 months ago #6342

• Chris_L
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 7
Reason I'm asking is I would like to build a "n" shelf layout depiction of that section in 1946 from the split for the low grade to the viaduct since it fits my currently available area shortening the 1.7 actual miles to about 1 scale mile and a bit more northward with scenes in between ending in around schukill haven.

Thanks for the help guys I didn't know about the usgs historical maps before great info.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading yard north to tuckerton Rd 5 years 2 months ago #6343

Maps are a lot of fun and very helpful for reconstructing the history of the line. You are fortunate because you are close enough for frequent "in person surveys" of the line you plan to model. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris_L

Reading yard north to tuckerton Rd 5 years 2 months ago #6344

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
This is exactly the area studied in Bernhart's latest production. Steep in price, however it includes the Valuation Maps which lays out the details and then exhibits a boatload of photos in the area. Last time I was in at Iron Horse (S 6th St) they were still selling them.

So as to not confuse things bear in mind the Pennsy Schuylkill Branch and the Reading S&L virtually ran parallel from below Penn Street, up the river past Parrish and Carpenter Steel, crossing 61 at Bellevue-continuing up through and crossing Tuckerton Road and beyond before diverging away from each other, the S&L following the Maidencreek and the Pennsy following the east side of the Schuylkill. So those bridges across 61 below Bellevue and the Rte 61 Diner are not both Pennsy.... In fact, The Reading's was double track from what I can tell. And as mentioned the Low Grade did takeover the S&L roadbed. through that area.

The four tack area from Bellevue to Tuckerton Road on the Main Line was a great place to find stored Reading equipment after Conrail.

I am guessing the stretch of the S&L from Carpenter to 61 was discontinued after the Low Grade was complete and the branch from Carpenter on the south side of the stadium crossing Centre Ave (61) and connecting to the yard near the 5th Street Post Office. The Pennsy was useless after Conrail too, however Carpenter uses the former right of way under the belt for vehicle traffic to the buildings north of the Belt (Rotary Forge and #5 Mill) It has been a while, however I think the Dinky (24" Gauge IRR) made it to the Rotary Forge before being discontinued. Does any one remember or have photos of that crazy farm hump of a bridge over the tracks north of Warren Street before Carpenter grabbed the land.

Speaking of Bernharts Books, I posted this on Facebook, however I am thinking there are people on here that may have (wisely) stayed off Facebook SO... I have Vol 3 through 6 #255 of 300. My Vol #2 is #260 of 300. I am wondering who might have Vol #255 of Vol 2 and if they would be willing to swap OR even if someone has a group of 260 and needs it to further that effort I again would be ok swapping out a book in like (perfect) condition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris_L

Reading yard north to tuckerton Rd 5 years 2 months ago #6345

• Chris_L
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 7
Haven't been to iron horse in a few months, I searched amazon for his works do you know the title of his latest?

Reading yard north to tuckerton Rd 5 years 2 months ago #6346

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
I think the series of 6 (so far) books are just called Reading Company. There may be some reference to the section of the mainline it covers but I never really paid attention to that. They cover the mainline from Port Richmond railroad west and Vol 6 is Belt Line to Pt. Clinton. V5 is Spring Street to Belt Line. 4 Douglassville to Spring. V3 is Valley Forge to Douglassville, etc. down the line. These are "Limited Editions" as he only has 300 printed of each volume.

Bernhart publishes under the flag of "The Outer Station Project" you may also find some of his work through the RCT&HS. The address is on Railroad Street, Dauberville, Pennsylvania. Can't recall the street number off hand. (Not exactly a big town)
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Rob.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 24, 1859
A new terminal opened at Broad and Callowhill Streets in Philadelphia, north of the old facility at Cherry Street.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements