FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: New Sound Decoder initial review

New Sound Decoder initial review 10 years 2 months ago #2704

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Worked last Saturday at Mecca on Broadway (Caboose Hobbies) being treated to a fellow employee's demo of one of the new WOW TCS decoders installed in a brass 2-10-2. Treated as in all three of the Reading's whistles are included in the eighteen pre-loaded whistle sounds; they all sounded dead on to the prototype. Very impressive was the sound changing by when the model was impeded by just holding finger pressure against it. The exhaust sound increasingly deepened into that of a loco pulling harder. Another feature was the two sounds of the cylinder cocks when opened and when closed. Easy to use and with may pre-loaded features. In short, TCS has produced a sound decoder that will set a new bench mark.
Also, the speaker used was that of the iPOD5. These were found as excess new stock on eBay. The sound rivals any of the model speakers and is very affordable at six for ten dollars.
I had been a Soundtraxx Tsunami devotee. TCS's new decoder series has changed that. WOW TCS will equip the remainder of my steam fleet. Stay warm, Evan
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Sound Decoder initial review 10 years 2 months ago #2705

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
HI Evan...
my friend Joe that had the sale on C630's a bit ago, is also swearing by these new decoders. He (and I) can't wait for them to start doing diesels!!

Another feature you missed mentioning - keep alive!! These decoders have an extra capacitor to "keep alive" the sound when the loco goes over a bad or dead section of track. I have a few turnouts where my current engines stall for a second or two and that makes the sound go off and restart. These don't do that!! In fact, Joe installed one of these on a loco and it tested great. He turned off his system (easy DCC) and this loco headlight and sound stayed on for near 20 seconds!
Thanks,
Barry
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements