FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Need help with serious workbench reorganization

Need help with serious workbench reorganization 9 years 3 months ago #4006

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
So...How do you ultra-organized peoples have your workstations set up? I have hundreds of tools, materials, supplies and everything inbetween that I need sorted...Type, size, etc. everything from bottled paint to micro tools to styrene sheet and brass wire...

I have the workbench shown below, plenty of space. But I need to build some separation trays or something. I utilize a lot of fishing lure boxes for my detail parts, and is my ideal type of separation. I can easily build myself a wooden tray with all I need to custom sizes, but wondering what everyone else has!

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need help with serious workbench reorganization 9 years 3 months ago #4008

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
After a move, and a few other issues at the end of last year I found myself in a similar situation, setting up a new work area. I feel that the best investment one can make towards your goal is SHELVING. As much as possible. Get all the crap off the floor, and the most often used stuff near the bench. Basic, yet often elusive concept.

Need help with serious workbench reorganization 9 years 3 months ago #4009

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
Here is a photo of the dump that I like to fiddle with my trains at. Kind of a geologic study in sedimentary layers. Yes, it could be cleaned up, but then I just do not remember where everything was placed. Not seen in the photo is a medium sized cabinet that also contains all sorts of related items. A person could almost play a "Where's Waldo" type game in seeing how many different items are located on my work desk at any one time.
Attachments:
Fishnmack

Need help with serious workbench reorganization 9 years 3 months ago #4010

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
I wholeheartedly second Mr. Bill's opinion about shelving, but good lighting a MUST. Noticed in the first photograph of this thread that the desk featured does not have any focused lighting.
Fishnmack

Need help with serious workbench reorganization 9 years 3 months ago #4012

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
the fluorescent light that comes attached to the bench actually affords good lighting! I finally decided to move the workbench over near the outlet so that the cord would reach!!! Unfortunately i don't have the luxury of making a lot of shelving area here as this is yet another in a string of short-term housing. The shelving i do have is dedicated to my magazines and RR books. I'm thinking I will get a couple of those stack-on bins and build some hardboard trays for the drawers, and whatever else I can manage to fit in the space I have. Those white bins I think are not very efficient, and thats something i can get rid of and replace with wooden shelving too.

Need help with serious workbench reorganization 9 years 3 months ago #4014

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Here are a few shots of my modeling area.As you can see,I like my lighting.

A closer view of the work area.One thing I recommend when working on the models is wearing a good apron,keeps the cloths clean and when sitting it catches those small parts before they hit the floor and disappear.

When weathering and decal work I like to pin the prototype picture(s) on my make shift bulletin board for easy reference.
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 1, 1953
The last Hall "banjo-style" signals are removed from service, and are replaced with color-light signals.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements