FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Crossing buck pole colors

Crossing buck pole colors 5 years 1 week ago #6398

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
VC Trainmaster makes me wonder if I should go back out there and dig around... I am fairly sure the crossbucks came from the same crossing that the little crossing shack came from that the RCT&HS got from the R&C. Hopefully they're together again.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Crossing buck pole colors 5 years 1 day ago #6411

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
Yes it was broken off between the C & the R. The state made the road a little wider than when they were 1st installed. I am sure a truck trailer hit it and broke it off. The new ones were hit several times already. The raised letters are cast in one piece. So when my dad Stick welded the back side I ground it down with an angle grinder. The front would have been a bit hard to do with the raised letters so I put a two part epoxy in the front side to keep water from frezeing it apart and it was smooth. No grinding needed. I then put it up one the pole after it was painted. Oh it takes 2-3 strong guys to pike it up. I had the crane operator lift it up after he placed the caboose on its tracks. A little overkill 150 ton crane. Now the rust and the winter got behind the circle and cracked the stop look listen circle down the middle. I may have to remove it and have it repaired before it falls off. When I placed the pole it came with the original concrete foundation, We just dug the foundation into the ground so the height in the pic is the original height from the foundation to the signs.
Daniel J Mohr
The following user(s) said Thank You: HoboPiker

Crossing buck pole colors 5 years 14 hours ago #6413

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
IMG_03801.jpg

You can see the full length of the pole on this shot but the stripes are not as visible.
Daniel J Mohr

Crossing buck pole colors 4 years 11 months ago #6414

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Warms me to the cockles of my heart, Big Blue disappearing and the Reading reappearing. Mr. Daniel Mohr - Thank you!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by HoboPiker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

Crossing buck pole colors 4 years 6 months ago #6490

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
To answer your question. No the letters are not applied individually. The whole sign snapped off between the letter C and R. We found the end under cinders of the road bed. and welded the end back on. The reason it was broken off. Over the years the penn dot roadway creeped wider as the trucks got bigger. The lower end got wacked off by a box truck. The new aluminium sign was moved farther away from the edge of the road cartway. Allready some truck wingged the newer sign, denting it, but it is intact.
Daniel J Mohr
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

November 14, 1948
Service on the "Schuylkill" Main Line train to Pottsville is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements