FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!
  • Page:

TOPIC: HTl/n quad hoppers in HO

HTl/n quad hoppers in HO 10 years 11 months ago #1405

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Here is how I am kitbashing HTl/HTn quads from readily available athearn, tyco, or ahm cores. I hope this will provide some motivation to get a few of these completed. I'll add more info if anyone needs more details. To start, I basically chop 2 feet out of the center to bring the inside length to 39'. While still in half, i then cut out the 2 center sets of discharges and move them toward the ends of the car. The offset sides will get covered with .010 styrene sheet and new ribs.

Here the sides have been raised about 6" to bring car height up to about 10'-8"
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by MrBill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Reading Quad Hoppers 10 years 11 months ago #1426

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
Interesting work you have made in creating the Reading quad hopper. Some far time back I remember reading an article about creating PRR ribbed side cars from the same stock that you are using. If my memory serves me correct, that person was using a Dremel tool mounted in a drill press attachment to mill the details off the cars sides using low speeds and dishwash soap to keep from melting the plastic. Sounds like your plan for a side panel overlay is a whole lot easier. Keep posting your efforts, it looks good.
Fishnmack

Reading Quad Hoppers 10 years 11 months ago #1434

Another source, albeit a little crude detail-wise, is the old Hobbyline/Lionel HO quad hopper available on Ebay.. Lionel hot-stamped the lettering so you need to use some squadron to fill it in. I f you add new grabs and end detail, etc, new brake detail, it still can save a little scratch-building time. I have one I bought from Bobb Losse about.. oh 26-27 years ago. I might actually finish it some day! They do measure out dimensionally accurate for the class...

Reading Quad Hoppers 10 years 11 months ago #1440

• MrBill
  • Conductor
The hobbylines are pretty close, except for the rib spacing. They're evenly spaced at 4'-3" centers. the Htl/n panels get wider at the ends, and I want to include that detail. Meanwhile I have acquired 3 of the hobbyline units, and found that they are very close for another local road's quad hopper:

For comparison a hobbyline with just a repaint. The inboard factory truck spacing issue is blatantly evident.
Last Edit: 10 years 11 months ago by MrBill.

Reading Quad Hoppers 10 years 11 months ago #1442

• MrBill
  • Conductor
One side sheet on.

Reading Quad Hoppers 10 years 11 months ago #1444

• MrBill
  • Conductor
On the other side i figured a better way to frame it out, before adding the 010 sheet.
Strip sizes used: top sill - 040x060, bottom sill - 060x100,
corner posts - 040x040.
filler in upper left offset - 020 sheet

Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by MrBill.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 23, 1955
The Blandon Low Grade line enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements