FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: NEa 94100&NEb 94119

NEa 94100&NEb 94119 10 years 5 months ago #2240

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
I decided to finish the two Atlas WV undecs.I had sitting on the to do shelf for the last year.I choose 94100 from the NEa class and 94119 from the NEb class.
I disassembled the units and removed the clear window glass.Air brushed both units using PS RDG yellow straight from the bottle @ 25psi.Let both dry for about 24hrs.
Next,I masked off the yellow using Tamyia masking tape and applied SCII RDG green.I use a 50/50 mix paint/thinner,I also add SC quick dry to the mix.
After another 24 hrs or so I decaled using MS RDG caboose decals.I then sprayed the units down with dullcoat.
I hand painted all the window frames using Floquil bright silver.I also painted the cal-scale marker lights while they were still connected to their spurs.When the silver was dry on the markers I secured Utah Pacific marker lenses with MS med. Micro Bond.I let these set for a day before I removed them from the spur tree and mounted.I also added the fuel fill cap to both units.The caps are from an Atlas MP15 fuel tank.
I then added all the grabs and painted them with Floquil antique white.the same with the end railings.After it dried I went over all with PS RDG yellow.To give the grabs and railings the safety yellow look I applied a coat of Floquil railbox yellow.I also painted the trucks and underframe Floquil weathered black.When dried I added another coat of dullcoat to both units.
At this point I reassembled,added kadee couplers and lightly weathered.A-line windshield wilers were applied to the cupula.
I did not add the fins to the side of the units,an oversight on my part.What are these anyway? Are they the radio antenna?

Here are the pics.

NEb 94119

Both units.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NEa 94100&NEb 94119 10 years 4 months ago #2283

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
Great work!!! I touched up all the atlas painted NEa cabooses. I painted the platforms the right color. then I added the silver trim to the windows and the stack but one last thing I noticed from my pictures. Two flat pieces of metal on each side. I am not 100% sure but they appear to be a shield from the light of the marker lights to the wide coupola. I installed them any way. I used the thin metal pieces that hold the track couplers together when you buy them in a pack. I marked the locations. lightly with pencil on the side of the caboose. Then I cut small pieces off the strip. I made them Twice a long as they needed to be. I held one in a needle nose pliers and slipped a fiber washer over the metal. Using a soldering torch heated the metal till it started to glow orange, then like a branding iron pushed it carefully into the plastic car side at the marked location, being carful not to touch the car side with the tip of the needle nose piers. That's why I put the fiber washer over the metal. You could skip the fiber washer but be carefull with the car side. Try this a few times on a scrap piece of plastic. release the pliers, let it cool then touch up the metal with RDG Green paint. It wont come out and it is not nessisary to glue it. It looks great when finished. They are on some old picture posts I put in months ago. I'll try to repost a pic this weekend.
Daniel J Mohr
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 1, 1953
The last Hall "banjo-style" signals are removed from service, and are replaced with color-light signals.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements