FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: The World's Largest 2-10-2

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2668

Wow!
Last Edit: 10 years 2 months ago by WindsorSpring. Reason: Add exclamation point!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2669

Now that I have my "voice" back, I have a couple questions.
How did you form the sand domes?
What did you use for the steam dome?

...and a wishful comment: That this big engine gets to run on wider radius track some time in its life!

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2671

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57
Everything except the basic boiler shape ahead of the firebox and the smokebox front is scratch. The domes are all made the same way with starting with a tube made from .010 styrene coiled to the diameter wanted then glued and anchored to itself and sanded smooth. I make it 2 or 3 layers thick and just glue the outside, it trying to unravel will give a natural circle shape. Then sand an arch in the bottom to fit the boiler then get a basic oversized hight of the dome. Glue the base on the boiler and sand down to the final height minus about .080. Then I make 2 circles in .040 a hair bigger then the tube on the boiler and glue them down so it looks like a weird flat top mushroom. Then sand and shape and sand and shape until you get the shape needed. Then add a ring of putty to the bottom, if you try to shape it with an exacto it saves some more sanding time, and add putty where needed to the shaped top, let completely dry and shape the bottom to slope into the boiler add filler hatches (I normally just make small .010 shapes that are glued on top) grab irons and its done.

I have tried a couple variations on basically the same process and I think I like that way the best though doing the bottom slope in putty on split domes was tricky sanding.

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2676

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57
Minor update too. I did figure out some of the squeak mentioned with the finished pictures, at one point I needed to grind down the bottom of the pilot to add some clearance that was already glued in place and I think some of the brass flakes worked into the driver bearings which under load pressed into ring bearings on the axles and the noise was the rubbing. I cleaned it out the best I could and it is a lot better but still does it a little on a big dip in the track.

And a bonus picture from my phone, "out of the box" painted unlettered

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2677

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Gotta watch that grinding spew, especially around sensitive bearings and such. Mask it all off. Dude, that thing is totally bad ass.
Last Edit: 10 years 2 months ago by MrBill.

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2683

• Allan
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 14
Very nice. Need some more "Company" hoppers!
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 6, 1945
#2100, the first T-1 4-8-4 steam locomotive, is outshopped at Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements