FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section of The Interchange provides a space where members of the Reading Modeler community can showcase their Reading modeling efforts. If you've got a project that you'd like to share, start a new topic and "show and tell" the group how you did it!

TOPIC: The World's Largest 2-10-2

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 3 months ago #2523

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Is this a Reading loco? I didnt think the RDG had the lrgest Santa Fe's. I know they had the largest Mikado in the M1 though.

Either way this looks fantastis, as always. You give me the inspiration to attempt my hand at doing this in N scale for my T1 and K1. I need more tools for the smaller sanding and everything though.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 3 months ago #2525

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57
10 being rebuilt 2-8-8-2s (2-8-8-0s) its a giant boiler on a rigid frame plus a giant tender for length gives it the title, plus the 10 that were just built at the same specs by baldwin.

From wikipedia:
The heaviest 2-10-2s were the ten built by Baldwin Locomotive Works for the Reading Railway circa 1931, weighing 451,000 pounds (205,000 kilograms) or 225.5 short tons (201.3 long tons; 204.6 tonnes), engine only.
Last Edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Casey.

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 3 months ago #2527

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Mr K, you've birthed the whopper. mainline layouts must
now include a 26"r circuit.

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2620

• Casey
  • Conductor
Here is some more progress. The engineers side is ready for paint, but I still need to do a ll the fireman's side plumbing and add a couple final parts like the sander valves. I think the tender is good to go too though I have been fighting the putty warping the thin plastic the whole build. On the rear of the tender is a cal scale backup light I didn't previously know existed. It's buried in the list of parts on the bowser site and was fairly cheap at $1.80, the greenway one I have used in the past is $3.75 and doesn't look much different (part #190-6099) it didn't have a picture on the site so I googled the part number and found a picture from someone that just happened to be selling one on ebay.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin, Wowak

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2639

• Casey
  • Conductor
Finished the fireman's side today, its ready for paint but I'm still toying with the idea of a deck plate. My M-1 does not have one because of turning issues and this is way longer then that.

The World's Largest 2-10-2 10 years 2 months ago #2667

• Casey
  • Conductor
It's a snow day today so it allowed me to take pictures with better light a few days earlier then anticipated. The K-1 is basically done there are still a few things I want to tweak trying to get it to run perfect. The main thing I don't like is that for some reason after its done under a big load when the drivers slip just a little on uneven track, which on ez track on carpet is all of it, the wheels make a squeak noise which I think is in the video on the curve and as it runs a little and warms up it gets worse. I might just need to run it and wear it in if the wheels are too gritty.

And the video, hopper count is 41.
www.flickr.com/photos/60361449@N02/12502662285/
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 16, 1969
The last train makes a stop at the Outer Station in Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements