FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to the Reading

New to the Reading 11 years 1 month ago #836

• Brady
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 1
Since Reading seems to lead my Flyer motive power pool I decided to search the internet for resources and found this terrific site. As a Pennsylvania native who came along too late to see the fallen flags in person, it's nice to read about a PA road other than the PRR

FWIW here's a few photos of Flyer equipment. It's not scale, but it was made in the US circa 1950. These days much of it is available pre-weathered :)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

New to the Reading 11 years 1 month ago #837

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Nice stuff considering the time period it was made. If you compare this puppy to some of the modeling / kitbash projects on line here you will notice how that locomotive actually resembles the uniquely designed Reading steamers. And of course the Caboose is a dead on ringer for a Reading. Welcome aboard.

New to the Reading 11 years 1 month ago #842

• otiscnj
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
I mostly remember the Reading as it was from '74 onward, myself. Its been gone for over 30 years now, but many of its routes are still vitally important. Your models look to be in good shape. Welcome to the forum!

New to the Reading 11 years 1 month ago #848

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
Welcome Brady!
Anything RDG is good stuff... I still see these AmFlyer stuff at train shows locally here in Michigan! Haven't bothered to invest - don't need another scale...

Once again Welcome to the Reading Modeler and I hope we see you post often!
Thanks,
Barry

New to the Reading 11 years 1 month ago #852

• Brady
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks to all for the friendly welcome

Brady

New to the Reading 11 years 1 month ago #1008

• VCtrainmaster
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 12
Brady The pictures you posted is the same basic set I got when I was born in 1953. The engine was basic no sound or smoke,but it had the Reading diamond and the caboose was a dead on for a reading but had American Flyer Lines on the side. I was 12 before I was told it was mine and I only saw it at christmas around the tree. It got me into HO scale (reading of course) in Jr High late 1960's. Some 8 years ago I was looking for a new Headlight bulb for it at Allentown First Frost meet. I found that engine was produced for years with only slight changes and mass produced. so it was not worth as much as the bigger steam. I ended up picking one up like it for $35.00 it was from 1949 it had smoke and chuff sound. I also picked up a caboose #630 like yours with Reading on the side and it was lighted for $5.00. But I was suprised to see the value of some of the cars I had were $40.00 -$60.00 and up. log car, B&M box car, Hooker Chemical tank car, Rio Grande cookie car were some of my cars i looked up. It seemed backwards price wise. I now put it around the tree for my grandson. He is 2. later I will introduce him to HO scale. He just loves trains.
Daniel J Mohr
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 1, 1948
The "Wall Street" begins service between Philadelphia and Jersey City, hauled by new G-3 Pacific locomotives and featuring new two-toned green cars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements