FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Numbering F3 & F7 "B" units

Numbering F3 & F7 "B" units 10 years 9 months ago #1540

• rdgfan
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 2
The F3 and F7's had couplers between the A and B units (rather than Drawbars like the FT's) so they could be separated and used with other types of consists. Did the Reading number the B units in some way so they could be identified? This would be helpful when modeling with DCC control so that the units could be assigned to a throttle. If Reading did not number them, but only the A units, does anyone have a suggestion on what to number them for DCC control?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Numbering F3 & F7 "B" units 10 years 9 months ago #1546

• Riggelweg
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 19
Bill,

Just saw you also posted this.

The rear of F-T No. 259B on page 44 of "Anthracite Country Color" shows "259B" and "DF-1", where the "B" is a small-cap "B."

The rear of F-3 No. 262B on page 12 of "Colorful Memories of Reading's Shamokin Division" isn't discernible and neither is the number on the rear of FT No. 250B.

Finally, the rear of G-7F-7 No. 270B on page 45 of "Reading Railroad Action" vol. 1 shows "270B" and "DF-4", where the "B" is a small capital.

Hope that helps.

Peter
Last Edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Riggelweg.

Numbering F3 & F7 "B" units 10 years 9 months ago #1547

• rdgfan
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 2
Peter,

Thanks for that info as well. Adding the numbers to the back of the "B" units would helpful when the units are in an engine house and would provide the identification of the unit. As far as how to designate them for DCC, one way would be add a "2" to the end of the number for "B" so that "A" units would be 3 numbers and "B" units would be 4 numbers, as example 270 and 2702. That way they could be consisted as well as run separate for programming and operation.

I checked for the VOL 1 of "Reading Railroad Action" and it was indicated as being sold out. Apparently only 550 were printed.

Again, thanks for the answers and the information on both topics. I plan to add the numbers, back-up lights and and marker lights. With the very small LEDS it is now easily to do.

Bill

Numbering F3 & F7 "B" units 10 years 9 months ago #1548

• Riggelweg
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 19
Bill,

Here you go. Just found it.
http://www.historicrail.com/product_info.po?ID=28125

Peter

Numbering F3 & F7 "B" units 10 years 9 months ago #1549

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
One of Vol.2 left on ebay, i just snagged one

Numbering F3 & F7 "B" units 10 years 9 months ago #1551

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
all F-units both A units and B units had small lettering in the bottom right corner in 3" yellow the class and unit number. example: DF-1, 303-b etc. they also were numbered on the ends as mentioned in some of the earlier posts. I have some Stewart F-3 units 260a & 260b,with dcc, I have them both programed for 260 so I can run them together easily. also have an A-B set of Walthers FA-1,FB-1 done the same way.
Butch Curll
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 5, 1833
The Philadelphia and Reading (P&R) Railroad began operations.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements