FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Need engineering help on the AS-16s

Need engineering help on the AS-16s 10 years 8 months ago #1750

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Hey all. I've been working on getting some CAD drawings of the Reading's AS-16s for several years now, on and off. I found an individual who works in the 3D printing industry and would be able to manufacture shells in N scale if I can get enough information and measurements to him to work the CAD drawings.

I have general dimensions like LxWxH and stuff, but does anyone have anything related to the louvers and grilles, and other such measurements that would help get the most accurate drawing possible? I'm hoping the RCT&HS might have some files?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need engineering help on the AS-16s 10 years 8 months ago #1752

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
in the late 1960's or early 1970's Railroad Model Craftsman had HO scale drawings for all the Reading AS-16'S I think there are 4 variations.
Butch Curll

Need engineering help on the AS-16s 10 years 8 months ago #1760

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
In an effort to help, Craig Bossler did do drawings in RMC for HO scale. I have a photocopy, unfortunately the month / year are not on it although it is P. 41. The Reading Model Engineers did an O scale print, drawing #47, April 1973. As T1 nut mentioned the were a few variations and if you have the ability to get bodies made don't forget the "High Hood". These were made as internal changes by different suppliers would not fit in the older bodies, a good photo exists on P.87 of Reading Diesel Volume I, The First Generation. Now, not Reading, in the June 2004 RMC is an article on the C&O AS-616 with a nice breakdown on parts and templates to make the M.U. ends stand out. I will continue to look as I think there was a good article in Mainline Modeler years back, hope this is of value.

Need engineering help on the AS-16s 10 years 8 months ago #1761

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
I do have that issue, but it's not accurate enough to create CAD drawings clear enough to make shell castings. I need something more indept with measurements of as much detail as possible. I don't know if it exists anywhere, but Bowser must have used something to create the HO model...

Need engineering help on the AS-16s 10 years 8 months ago #1762

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
SMS Locomotive located in Bridgeport, N.J. may still have a Baldwin AS-616 on their property. Maybe somebody in that part of the world or even SMS may be able to help you with measurements/photos. The only other large Baldwin that I know is at the North Carolina R.R. complex in Spencer, N.C., pretty sure it is a late model AS-616 from the Norfolk Southern.
Fishnmack
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 24, 1949
Service on the "King Coal" train from Philadelphia to Shamokin is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements