FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gondola, passenger car, paint, truck questions

Gondola, passenger car, paint, truck questions 10 years 7 months ago #1942

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
1. I have a couple Proto RDG GMka gondolas with the following notice in a white block: "When empty return to RDG Company, Sheridan, PA". What kind of loads did these specific cars carry?

2. Some passenger cars have a conduit running the length of the roof in the middle; some cars don't. What's the purpose, and is there any pattern to its use?

3. Can Scalecoat II paint be used on brass car sides? Do I have to prime the sides first? I've heard some modelers soak brass models in vinegar prior to painting; the mild acidity gives the surface some "tooth" for the paint to adhere. Any validity to that?

4. I was looking at some Kadee trucks in the Walthers catalog. Most trucks have a standard and a self-centering version. What's the difference?

Now I'm off to do some googling, but am real interested in what you all have to say. Thanks.--Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Gondola, passenger car, paint, truck questions 10 years 7 months ago #1943

My understanding is the ones with conduits seem to be the ones used in push pull service between Philly and Rdg with the FP7's at each end-perhaps part of the push pull MU wiring since this was done a bit after they were built (the 2000-series cars) I'll assume you're not referring to the 11KV cable that ran on the roofs of the MU cars...

Gondola, passenger car, paint, truck questions 10 years 6 months ago #1954

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
Mitch--I thought that might be the case as well, but then I've seen pictures of baggage cars with the conduit in the middle. I don't think baggage cars were ever used in push-pull service. I've also seen a string of RDG passenger cars with a conduit running the length of the roof off to the side just above the vents; I think that might be the MU wiring. Some of those cars had the centered conduit as well. The centered conduit seems to be more random.--Dave

Gondola, passenger car, paint, truck questions 10 years 6 months ago #1957

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
I think the conduits had something to do with the wiring of the interior lights,some inside, some outside.
all of the brass cars that I have built I primered them first,before painting. it gives a more even covering when you paint.no light and dark areas. Butch Curll
Butch Curll

Gondola, passenger car, paint, truck questions 10 years 6 months ago #1958

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
Found the answer to #4. The self-centering trucks will center themselves when the car is picked up. With this feature the car can be placed on straight track without fumbling with the trucks. For retrofits, there may be some modification to the bolster needed. Seemed like more bother than it was worth to me; I'll stick with the standard version.--Dave

Gondola, passenger car, paint, truck questions 10 years 6 months ago #1960

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
Dave, the EJ Lavino works were located at Sheridan on the Lebanon Valley Branch. My guess is that it had something to do with the iron/steel works.
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 5, 1833
The Philadelphia and Reading (P&R) Railroad began operations.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements