FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Did the Reading run unit coal trains?

Did the Reading run unit coal trains? 10 years 7 months ago #2007

This may seem like an elementary question, but it is sincere.

I always assumed the Reading ran unit trains of coal hoppers, but then as I learned more about the anthracite market I wondered.

Can anyone illuminate for me?

If unit trains did exist, when were they common, where did they originate and terminate and what kind of equipment was used.

Thanks for any help.

Dave Owens
West Hartford, Conn.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Did the Reading run unit coal trains? 10 years 7 months ago #2013

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Not sure if the term "unit" train was in vogue yet, however there were certainly trains dedicated service.

The Joanna Turn/Grace Mine/RB20 was captive to the almost daily run, right down to the locomotives There are plenty of stories of ore trains and so forth on the Bethlehem Branch.

The Bethlehem Star as I recall was nothing but hoppers loaded with Bituminous coal in B&O hoppers bound for the Bethlehem Steel Mill.
The were many coal extras that were just hoppers, which although probably not in captive service were Unit trains by the nature of them being strictly one commodity be it anthracite on the main line or bituminous on the cross line.

Could one argue that even the "Bee Line Service" trains were unit trains as they went direct from client to client and carried only loads for that one specific run.

just some food for thought.
Rob

Did the Reading run unit coal trains? 10 years 7 months ago #2015

Thanks Rob.

That all makes perfect sense.

The reason I asked is I like to run long cuts of Stewart fishbellies, etc., pulled by GP7s and RS3s.

I was hoping I was close to being accurate.

Dave Owens

Did the Reading run unit coal trains? 10 years 7 months ago #2016

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
To refine Rob's comments, the Reading did run the 1960's equivalent of the Unit Coal train for Anthracite loads. Some Railroad employees referred to the as CD extras. By the 70's however, pure trains of Anthracite were rare. Back when St. Clair was the gathering point for coal it certainly would have originated trains. The other primary point of origin was probably Tamaqua. Power would have been primarily Baldwin in the early to mid 60's and Alco or EMD (or mixed) in the late 60's. In the 70's, St. Clair and the Frackville grade were no longer used, coal from Shamokin and Tamaqua areas was handled in Road freights.

The trains form West Cressona were known as "Snappers" with most of the consist being coal. But, there wasn't enough mixed freight or coal for solid coal trains every trip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

Did the Reading run unit coal trains? 10 years 7 months ago #2017

Thanks Bill. Great information.

Dave

Did the Reading run unit coal trains? 10 years 7 months ago #2019

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Joanna Bill's comments make even better sense...... When I was a kid watching those trains the hopper cars seemed to go on forever.....
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 23, 1955
The Blandon Low Grade line enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements