FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2232

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
As I recall, ground coal is used in filtration systems. After all, coal is carbon. I don't know if it is subject to additional processing. I remember (correctly, I hope)that one of the final operations at the famous Locust Summit breaker was the production of ground coal.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2233

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
A quick, Google check shows that ground coal is also used in Plastic and Polymer production. The Asbury Carbon website has a list of Anthracite sizes and uses you may find helpful.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2248

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Todd, as far as decals, have you looked at the Herald King 501, 504, and 505 for black speed lettering instead of making whole new decal sets? As far as hoppers T1 Nut (Butch) did some nice LOc kitbash work as he had them at the Modelers Meet. I was also doing some homework on the XMu boxcar class and found on the site that 12 cars were used for "ground coal loading" and in the October 1958 ORER, the Reading rostered 99 LOe, how many were in this service I don't know. Lastly as JoannaBill noted, the fine sizes #4, and #5 as produced in the breaker were used not only for co-gen, but the carbon for filtration.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2250

I agree-the HK sets are fairly available on Ebay.. Also, when our co-member John Hall was still making HO decals, he made a set that included LOc-d-e data, but no coal loading assignments. I used the for my kitbashed LOd, after finding them on Ebay a while back. Plans for the hopper were in RMC and also (by Eric Neubauer) in the old Freight Cars Journal, sometime in the late 80's. I would be willing to offer my article with plans for scanning if anyone can assure me of no illegalities involved! I always thought Funaro & Camerlengo should have done these cars, since the CNJ had some, and some were sold second-hand to the Maine Central as well in the 60's.
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Mitch from Maine.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2252

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
To continue, Mitch mentioned plans for these LO class covered hoppers. In the June 1989 issue of RMC, George Losse did a write up on these even with a photo of one in Conrail as a scale test car. As far as a resin kit, doubt Funaro will ever do it, I played with the idea of a modified Tyco covered hopper roof, making a pattern of the sides then casting them, and using an Eastern Car Works / EB Valley covered hopper as a "core". The dimensions were very close overall most notably it was a little over a scale foot too long. I never went farther than the drawing board as other projects held my interest.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2255

Here's a pic of one that used the Tyco car.. I gutted the body to fit the E&B slope sheet/hopper bay casting. Ends and side ladders/sills were also form the E&B kit, as was the centersill, shortened. New hatches were added, new brakewheel and platform, and a riveted styrene overlay for the center panel on the sides. Also added the angled fillet along the top of the "chord" between the ribbed and non-ribbed portion of the sides. Had to shorten the roof by a foot or so also, to match the plans.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Mitch from Maine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrBill
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1947
The new Lebanon Valley Branch bridge over the Schuylkill River at Reading, PA is completed, featuring the large "READING LINES" letting.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements