FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2208

• rdgraildog
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 2
I am looking for ground coal loading only covered hoppers with Return to Rdg agent Shamokin. These cars were loaded at Shamokin Filler. Todd Shoffler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2211

There is a great pic of one in Bossler's color rolling stock book of an LOc or LOd stenciled as such, in full Rdg speed lettering, unusual for these classes of cars.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2221

• rdgraildog
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 2
Mitch , I have aBossler Colr Guide I am going to look at cars. I have to learn how to make decals. They were also loading bagged coal at Locust Summit back in the early seventies in boxcars. Todd

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2223

glad I could help!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdgraildog

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2228

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
page 52, class LOe.

As for decals, if you are printing black lettering, you can get Testor's decal paper for laser or deskjet printing, you get i think 4-5 sheets.

Start a word document and type it out how you want it. The text appears to be a RR Roman-style font. If you need this font set, I have a copy of it.

Set your printer to the highest resolution you can, and make some test prints. when you are satisfied with the layout, load the decal paper, and follow the instruction on the label. I think you need to set it to glossy paper, but not certain. I wish I could find the pictures of my LOg that I used these decals on, but my file directory is so unorganized and I have yet to be able to locate a lot of my custom projects...If I come across it, I'll post it up.

Ground Coal Loading Only Covered Hoppers 10 years 5 months ago #2229

• sphogger
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 3
I understand using a covered hopper car to ship ground coal would be prudent in order to limit the loss of the load due to wind erosion. The big question is why ship ground coal, who uses such a product and how is ground coal used. Not that I need to know the particulars of ground coal, but such information is good for layout design according to a shippers loads and emptys cycle. I assume that ground coal is still a fairly viable business account the presence of Reading and Northern covered hopper cars that are seen on a sporadic basis here in South Texas.
Fishnmack
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements