FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Pottstown Station - need info

Pottstown Station - need info 10 years 2 months ago #2701

• Epaine
  • Apprentice
Thanks all for your input. Assuming the photo aspects of this project work (main buildings using photo flats), I will be scratch building everything from the track-side doors forward. It looks like the line pole girders will be the toughest, but I'll have a look at the central valley girders. Not sure this photo concept will work, but worth a try. The backdrop is 6-8" back from the three tracks so I don't have much of a choice!
I am also attempting Franklin Street station as a flat on the aisle edge of the layout.... The view of the tracks will be from inside through the windows. Also not sure if this will be effective but its game on at this point. E
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pottstown Station - need info 10 years 2 months ago #2702

Use of the Google Earth "Ruler" tool is a way to compare footprints of buildings as I wanted to do in my previous posting about Franklin Street and Pottstown Stations. While it is hardly as precise as scale drawings, or measurements taken on the spot, its use yields a quick and dirty set of dimensions.

The extra building on the Pottstown Station makes the comparison to Franklin Street an "apple-to-orange" effort despite the common central-hall-with-wings-design.

The "Central-Hall-With-Wings" part of Pottstown is smaller than Franklin Street, but the added building makes Pottstown longer along the track.

Franklin Street
Overall 140 feet (along the track) x 47 feet
Central Hall 82 feet (along the track) x 60 feet
Wings: 28 feet (along the track) x 47 feet

Pottstown
Overall 199 feet (along the track - including the extra building) x 42 feet
Central Hall and wings 128 feet (along the track) x 42 feet
Central Hall 58 feet (along the track) x 44 feet (a guess, it is hard to tell how much wider it is from the top view)
Wings (Shadows make estimation difficult and make them appear assymmetrical.)
Philadelphia side 36 feet along the track (from shadows, 41 feet along the track)
Reading side 36 feet along the track (from shadows, 29 feet along the track)
Extra Building 60 feet (along the track) x 42 feet set about 11' 3" towards Reading from the main building.
There is an awning on the north (parking lot) side as well as a long shelter to the east of the building.

George

Pottstown Station - need info 10 years 2 months ago #2710

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
well your in luck. Back in October. I went to the Hagley Museum. Low and behold. They have a drawing of the Pottstown Station. But only 1/2 of it. The half they have is the Baggage building and not of the passenger concourse.
Attachments:

Pottstown Station - need info 10 years 2 months ago #2711

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
Sorry but in order to copy this drawing. I had to copy it in bits and pieces in order to save it as their copier was too small for such a large drawing.
Attachments:

Pottstown Station - need info 10 years 2 months ago #2712

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
basement plan
Attachments:

Pottstown Station - need info 10 years 2 months ago #2713

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
I hear that the RR Museum of Penna. at Strasburg has some Pottstown Station Drawings. I wonder if it is the other half. Anyone want to go and see? As I live 1000 miles away and won't get back that way for several years.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years 2 months ago by rdg1187prr. Reason: spelling
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements