FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3062

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Chris: Do you think it’s worthwhile to send Athearn an email about these issues?

Although it’s probably too late to get the ribs and brake wheel corrected, I would think they could swap in the correct trucks. I don’t really want to add $6 or $8 to the price of each car for replacement truck sets.

Rob: Thanks for the info on the Bee Line issue, I'll have to search for it at the next RCT&HS meet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3063

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Mark... maybe an e-mail concerning the trucks might get the correct roller bearing trucks added.Concerning the other two observations...I don't think it will help.

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3064

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
A couple other picayunes would be the top hatch spacing. The Reading's were evenly spaced. On both the athearn and concor roofs, two of the hatch pairs are off.
And back to the ribs, the athearn drawings show a funky crimp at the top and bottom of them. Reading unit ribs went straight under the roof eve, with no bevel, and same at the bottom, cut off almost flush with the bottom of the side sheet.
I spent a good bit of time modifying a Roundhouse twin covered hopper into an LOg, mostly by reworking the ribs. But that was a $3.00 spare, not a $30 RTR. Oh, the humanity!

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3066

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
As noted they aren't perfect, but they were a fund raiser and in their day were pretty much the only thing out there, here is four out of five. (number five is still AWOL after digging through boxes for 2 1/2 hours)The last car in the series has the same poster as 78655, I believe)
2014-4-30RCTHSSavingBondCoveredhoppers1.JPG

2014-4-30RCTHSSavingBondCoveredhoppers2.JPG

2014-4-30RCTHSSavingBondCoveredhoppers3.JPG

2014-4-30RCTHSSavingBondCoveredhoppers4.JPG

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 9 years 8 months ago #3443

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Hello Group,

With the delivery date of Athearn’s new cars fast approaching, the gears in my head have been spinning about how to resolve the car’s “issues”. Mainly, I’ve been considering how a corrected roof, with the right hatch spacing, could be fabricated. Then I stumbled upon Yarmouth Model Works; a small company that offers resin kits and detail parts. They offer a mini kit to retrofit IMRC hopper kits with ACF style roofs.

So…I was thinking about reaching out to this company to see what it would take for them to offer a special run of correct roof components for the Athearn’s new car. But before I do that, I want to gage how many people would actually be interested in such a kit, and, more importantly, what would you be willing to pay for it! If the price is too high or there is not enough interest, I’ll just drop the idea all together.

Also, Yarmouth has a nice selection of brass stirrups and a few other detail parts, so it' worth a look at their site even if you're not interested in my idea.

Thanks, Mark

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 9 years 8 months ago #3448

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
with these being R-T-R cars, would the roof come off easily without doing damage to the car sides.
Butch Curll
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 8, 1900
Construction of the new P&R locomotive shops at Reading, PA began.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements