FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3052

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Just announced, Athearn PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper in Reading with “Share in the Freedom” savings bond logo:

Athearn April 25 announcements

Any comments, criticisms, or complaints about this model?

I would think this car is a quantum leap better in quality than the old Concor model.

Thanks, Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3055

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
I might have seen one of the C&O models at a train show in my area just last Sunday. It was Athearn and a covered hopper, looking very much like these. It was only $15 and I almost bought it. (can always use some foriegn road on the pike)
HAD it been Reading... it would have been mine!!

It looked very nice to me in the package!
Thanks,
Barry

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3058

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
The artwork had me concerned that this RTR model would have molded on features, but the description states otherwise.

I’m sure I posted this to the forum before, but here is a copy of the RMC article on this car.

LOcvrdhppr_0001.jpg

LOcvrdhppr_0002.jpg
Last Edit: 10 years 1 week ago by MarkFJ.

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3059

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
Many moons ago the RCT&HS did all the various savings bond covered hoppers on the Con-Cor cars. I think there were five cars and two or three different posters.

I'll have to dig them out... Since they were a fund raiser I got them from the society and they are good enough to not replace. I do have a couple of the similar Athearn cars in other road names & private owners - they are nice cars... no doubt. Even as special runs the RCT&HS cars were probably cheaper, lol. - I mean less expensive.

Tom - If that art work isn't in the Library - I don't know where it is. I haven't found it in my junk yard. I can't remember if Con-Cor did them for us or if we had 3rd Rail Graphics do them. ( I lean toward 3RG)

Rob

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3060

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
As a follow up to Mark... Eric Neubauer also wrote an article with additional drawings and info for the Bee Line (probably Fall of 1983 or earlier... I think we actually printed our article before RMC) which included drawings on the LOs and LOr classes and loading charts for them.
Rob

Athearn HO PS 2893 3-bay covered hopper 10 years 1 week ago #3061

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
I have three of these cars.Two in Chessie C&O and one C&O gray.Nice well detailed cars.
I will most likely order all three of the RDG units.Is the Athearn model correct for the RDG? NO. They will make close enough stand ins for my taste.
The three things I see are;
The Athearn model has the slim double rib at the ends of the car.The RDG cars had the single rib.The Con-Cor model got this detail correct.
The brake wheel on the RDG's was mounted low.The Athearn model has the high mount.Con-Cor also got this wrong.
The Athearn model does not come with roller bearing trucks.

That's the three things that stick out to me.
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April, 1957
The famous green "READING LINES" bridge over Shepps Dam on the Reading Belt Line (near Carpenter Steel) enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements