FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Walther's new GP30

Walther's new GP30 9 years 10 months ago #3213

I was curious if anyone has purchased the new run of RDG GP30s. If so, what do you think of the color rendition?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Walther's new GP30 9 years 10 months ago #3219

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Rick,

Typically, most Reading modelers would say color is very subjective and depends on the age of the paint and lighting conditions. This is especially true when using photos as a reference. A good example of this are the photos found on page 100 and 101 of RDG GP30 5513 in Dale Woodland’s Reading Diesels Vol 2 book. One photo shows 5513 restored in 1989 while the other shows it in ‘as delivered” (sans nose diamond decal) in 1962.

Regarding Walther’s new GP30, the photo below compares the paint on the recent release (no. 5504) with the 90’s P2K release (no. 3606). I would say that the older P2K paint looks closer to Reading green and yellow while the newer model’s colors are not as close. The Walther’s yellow is too pale and the green is too dark (maybe off in shade). Again, it’s all subjective, so the final decision on color is yours!

Also, check out these other posts on basically the same topic.

Topic: p2k GP30

Topic: Anyone preorder Walthers updated GP30?

Mark
Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by MarkFJ.

Walther's new GP30 9 years 10 months ago #3220

Hi Mark:

I would definitely agree that the yellow on the original P2K model is much closer, while the newer yellow is too pale. I compared both P2K models, 3617 and 5504 with my Oriental GP30s and the Bowser C430. Personally, I feel the Oriental and Bowser colors are dead-on!

Thanks,
Rick

Walther's new GP30 9 years 10 months ago #3221

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
I don’t have any Bowser Alcos in my collection to do a color comparison to the P2K and Walthers geeps, but I just bought an Athearn Alco. To illustrate the effect lighting can have on color, I took one shot with flash and the other without it. You can see that the flash makes the colors look very “washed out”. Athearn’s yellow on the Alco reminds me of Floquil’s Reefer Yellow, which always seemed the wrong shade to me.

With flash:

Without:

Mark
Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by MarkFJ.

Walther's new GP30 9 years 10 months ago #3222

Without question, lighting has a major effect on colors. As with the RDG yellow, the NH's red/orange always looks different too.
To me, the shot w/o the flash looks closer to RDG "mustard & relish."

Walther's new GP30 9 years 10 months ago #3228

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
Don't fret over the shade of paint too darn much. As I believe it is ok to have several cars or loco's that aren't the same shade just like on the prototype. Sun, weathering and even the assignment (remember the Grace mine assignment for the RS-3's) can change the apparent shade of the paintjob.

Here for example are the 2 RDG XMv boxcars at Shoemakersville. Same class and yet two very different shades of boxcar red!
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

January 1, 1955
The Reading begins Trailer-on-Flatcar (TOFC) service between Philadelphia and Chicago in cooperation with the WM, P&WV, and NKP (the "Alphabet Route").

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements