FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: What number series is this "roof"?

What number series is this "roof"? 8 years 8 months ago #4679

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
I wanted to model the larger vents on some Reading cars. I followed a car I bought from John Hall years ago.

What number series is a coach with this many vents on it?

The first photo is the Solidworks screen capture. The next photo is a crop of newly born vents on my printer. I made 3 revisions to this vent, and threw out a bunch of them until I got the undercut profile correct - all between yesterday and today! The roof profile is compound curved so it had to fit perfectly.

GartlandVentSScaleLarge8-16-15.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3326_2015-08-16.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg
Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by PRSL_Bill.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What number series is this "roof"? 8 years 8 months ago #4680

• HHS
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 40
Bill,
In the November 1984 issue of MR there are two possibilities.
There is a picture of a coach on the Newtown local, but I can not read the the number.
Then there is a drawing of combine # 408 showing 8 vents per side.

Hugh
RDGCoach16vents.jpg

RDG408with16vents.jpg

What number series is this "roof"? 8 years 8 months ago #4683

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
I am following car 1344

I cant help but think John Hall got this correct. What is the number series?

IMG_3333.jpg
Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by PRSL_Bill.

What number series is this "roof"? 8 years 8 months ago #4684

Bill,

Is the roof one of your urethane castings? It looks really good, I was wondering if you had gone to a new method for the roof.

About the vents, I know these are your from second design. My question is are you updating the vents or did the Reading use two different designs. I thought you mentioned your first ones were brass.

Thanks,

Tom Stoltz
in Maine

What number series is this "roof"? 8 years 8 months ago #4685

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
Tom

Yes the black roof is 1 I had made in urethane and offered for sale. These larger vents are new to me now as revised vents from the design I sold at the same time as the roofs. (4ish years ago) I did brass and urethane vents back then but am only 3D printing what I need now.

Bill

What number series is this "roof"? 8 years 8 months ago #4686

• HHS
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 40
Bill,
The Nov. 84 MR article did mention car #1340, but I was not 100% sure it was for that car in the Newtown local.
The series is 1336 -1359 is from Bethlehem Steel 1922, and the combine 408 from same in 1923.

Hugh
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 6, 1945
#2100, the first T-1 4-8-4 steam locomotive, is outshopped at Reading.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements