FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Painting an RS-3

Painting an RS-3 7 years 10 months ago #5367

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
For members who might be interested in this, applying decals on a flat finish.
First off I only use distilled water to remove the decal from the backing, and Walthers Solvaset 100%, and a low humidity day. When I spray a Floquil or Polly Scale paint that is an acceptable finish, Scalecoat paints I "flatten" with Testors dullcote cut with lacquer thinner 50/50. I use 35 psi to apply all coatings, I found this pressure atomizes the paint to almost dry when it hits the model.
Now, the "idea" of solvaset is to get decals to snuggle down on the surface. Imagine trying to gets the decal edges to "disappear" on a smooth finish like plate glass? Where can the decal "snuggle" down in that type of setting? Now, a flat finish will yield some "tooth" under a microscope, but that is just enough surface imperfection for solvaset to do it's magic.... "snuggle" the decal down and eliminate that annoying line around the perimeter of the decal being applied.
I don't apply a puddle of solvaset, more like brush on a thin layer to set the decal into. If you get it wrong flood the area with water, no problems. I also use a super fine paint brush to apply the solvaset. You will see how fast this truly evaporates, and apply more solvaset with the lightest of touch not to mar the decal.
If done this way, you will not get any silvering underneath the decal. At this point I apply many super thin layers of dull mixed (50/50 as stated above) with a few drops (not acrylics) of a base color red to "blend" in the decal, essentially toning down the brightness of a white decal. These many thin passes do the last needed trick to truly look like the decal was "painted on in the shops"
For those on the site who have seen some of my equipment can attest first hand this method works.

Bill
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Jct. Towerman

Painting an RS-3 7 years 10 months ago #5369

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
I agree with Bill about decaling on a dull surface. I have found out though that some decals, Micro-scale, Rail Graphics ,Highball Graphics, Circus City Decal,etc. Walthers Solva-set will damage them, I use Micro-scale, micro-sol in the blue bottle,for them and Solva-set for the last pass on the decals.
Butch Curll
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by t1nut.

Painting an RS-3 7 years 10 months ago #5370

I tend to agree. I've watched various utube videos on decaling and have listened to other modelers' comments. Micro-scale Micro-Sol on the surface before applying the decal and Solva-Set afterwards on top of decal to settle it down. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions Johnny C, Wayne Jct. Towerman, 2nd Trick Operator.
Johnny C, Engineer, #413 The Rocket

Painting an RS-3 7 years 10 months ago #5373

• RRDavey
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 24
I've also heard of modelers using white glue under decals to prevent the silvering in these situations. I've not done it myself so have no first hand experience.--Dave

Painting an RS-3 7 years 10 months ago #5374

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
As the painting subject continues.... I don't know if anyone on the site belongs to the Steam Era Freight Car Group on Yahoo. Any how, Eric Hansmann mentioned an interesting subject, Future Floor Polish, and its decal application properties on the "Resin Car Works" blog. For those who like to decal on a gloss surface, this read will be time well spent, you won't be disappointed!

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wayne Jct. Towerman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 13, 1937
The Reading places the 5-car "Crusader" streamlined passenger trainset into Philadelphia-New York service. This train increases traffic on this line by 37% in 1938.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements