FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: GoPro for modeling

GoPro for modeling 7 years 8 months ago #5480

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
I got a GoPro Session camera about a month ago, mostly to use in the pool with my dogs. It is a waterproof 1 1/2" cube - very small. You can stream what it is seeing and control it from a IPHONE. GoPro also sells a waterproof remote but there is no viewing screen - which would have been nice.

It is a VERY wide angle lens. I thought there would be model uses too, but I am finding it is a much wider angle than I prefer especially in the video. There are parts of my basement I do not want shown on YouTube. But I have made some still photos that are unique if not a novelty. You can put this camera truly anywhere, where you could never get your DLSR. I have put it on tender decks, roofwalks and cabs shooting down the roofs of a train. I cropped 1 photo just for a goof.

I have had plenty of fun with it, but am somewhat disappointed that I possibly won't be using it much for my layout. I got a kit that masks the view supposedly simulating a loco windshield, and mounts on a flat car I have not tried yet.

GOPR0211.jpg

GOPR0225.jpg

GOPR0226.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdamelio

GoPro for modeling 7 years 8 months ago #5490

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
Nice pics! I'm certain there should be settings for you to adjust that brings the angle in better. I don't have one, but as popular as they are for filming and all kinds of uses, there has to be something to fix for that.

GoPro for modeling 7 years 8 months ago #5496

• PRSL_Bill
  • Engineer
  • Thank you received: 25
Your settings are related to the photo or video. They both have a wide or medium setting, (electronically) but even the medium setting is a very wide angle.

It is all MUCH wider angle than I expected.

GoPro for modeling 7 years 8 months ago #5499

• dave1905
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 2
My son got a miniature camera that clips to a helmet, Only about 1" square and 3" long. He likes to mount it to a flatcar and shoot "fan trips". I have experimented with attaching it to the rear car to get the conductor's view or putting it trackside to get approaching shots. Pretty fun.
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by dave1905.

GoPro for modeling 7 years 8 months ago #5501

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
I don't even bother with N scale...I'd need a heavy duty flat car for those things :)

GoPro for modeling 7 years 8 months ago #5504

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Now the real modeling question. How can you simulate the dust kicked up by the engine whisking by, or the braking smoke cloud? I bet when its all figured out you can have a lot of fun with this!!!

Bill
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

September 24, 1949
Service on the "King Coal" train from Philadelphia to Shamokin is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements