FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Show Us

Show Us 6 years 10 months ago #5955

• Allan
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 14
Good trio of Reading diesels! Wonder if the passenger GPs and FPs ever ran together. Don't think I've seen a picture of them.

Somewhere downstairs I have a couple of Atlas FP7s that were awaiting the same fate. Hard to believe both Athearn and Intermountain beat me to it, 40 years later.

Well done.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Show Us 6 years 10 months ago #5956

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
Your diesels are almost as nice as your steamers, Casey! I'd like to see what you or
Chris could do with a Bowser AS-16!

Show Us 6 years 10 months ago #5957

• HoboPiker
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 53
Yes, there are photos showing RS-3 and GP7 units running with an FP7. A few photos of the GP7s on the push-pull trains have also been published. A side note, several of the freight engines in these two classes were equipped with signal and steam lines plus remote boiler controls for passenger service. Again, the RCT&HS's Bee Line has pass. articles describing these units. Two of the FT pairs had signal lines added for passenger service during warm weather. The FTs appeared mainly on the Jersey City/Allentown to Harrisburg mail trains.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allan

Show Us 6 years 9 months ago #5958

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57
Robin: I do have a Stewart AS-16 that I want to fix up at some point, new cab, hand rails and probably go for a dynamic break equipped freight unit. That is a back burner project at the moment though.

As a side thing, while looking at Reading DS4-4-1000 pictures I realized I did a project very similar to the earlier non turbo ones. They were DS4-4-1000s but used the VO1000 car body. This was the same for the ex copper range New Hope and Ivyland units. The only major difference being the cold weather covers on top of the hood. (open on the model)

The front screen mold got cut out and the nose carefully ground flat keeping the headlight shape. A new screen frame was made and a U25B screen was used. Shutter flaps were made of styrene and glued to the frame and stay there when the shell comes off.

Paint and custom decals later...

So they aren't necessarily Reading but not far off to something they had, and obviously ran on the New Hope branch.

Show Us 6 years 9 months ago #5959

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Very sharp looking units...nicely done. The only real interest for me concerning the as16 would be the dynamic brake equipped. I thought about doing one many times but that's as far as it went. Contacted Bowser many times to consider doing a dynamic brake model as16

Show Us 6 years 9 months ago #5960

• Casey
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 57
I plan on doing some research on SMS 554 which has one, taking lots of pictures the next time I go to work on 9. Already got tons of detail pictures of the actual 101 and 302 from when I did them.
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1947
The new Lebanon Valley Branch bridge over the Schuylkill River at Reading, PA is completed, featuring the large "READING LINES" letting.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements