FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This board is the place where questions and information specific to MODELING the Reading Company, its equipment and operations can be shared - questions like "What was the window arrangement of AF Tower in Alburtis?" and "What color paint do YOU use to paint the Reading's cream-and-brown buildings?" We also want to hear about YOUR Reading modeling projects!

TOPIC: Show Us

Show Us 7 years 1 week ago #5899

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 16
Hiya gang,
So I found a picture in John Hall's book of Reading Cabooses that showed a load of Duryea underframes in a B&O gon. I'm thinking about possibly trying to 3d print these frames. Would that be something you would be interested in? I figured I'd ask to see if anyone else would be interested. I think I saw a print in the book with measurements so that makes things a little easier. The question I have though is what is the nmra standard width of a car? I know there's scratch builders out there that would know this. I would like to make the frame both functional and be able to be used as a load. Functional so that if someone wants to try scratch building an NE caboose, they at least have a frame to build off from that's up to nmra standards.

- Nick
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr, Robin

Show Us 7 years 1 week ago #5900

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Nick,

That sounds like an interesting project. You should be able to find the information you need on the NMRA website. But rather than use their standard, why not build your frame to fit one of the RTR NE cabooses already on the market (P2K or Bachmann)? I think offering the frame as a replacement part for one of these cars would be a smart move since they are what modelers most commonly use to model an NE style caboose.

Somewhere on this site, I posted (a long time ago) a photo of a Duryea frame being unloaded from a gondola. This could be the same photo you’re referencing, it shows the frame suspended from the lifting cables and you can see the complete frame. I have it saved to my home pc and will repost if needed.

Thanks and good luck on your project.
Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg1187prr, Robin

Show Us 7 years 1 week ago #5901

• Robin
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 47
I agree with Mark, Nick. It would be great to have a Duryea underframe to use as replacement parts for the P2K or Bachmann cabins. Thanks for thinking of us!
Last Edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Robin.

Show Us 7 years 1 week ago #5902

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
OK, I don't see why not. I will look into it as soon as by blueprint course is done for college.
Would that include the steps or just the frame itself?

Nick

Show Us 7 years 1 week ago #5903

• rdg1187prr
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 38
Yes It would be great idea to have a Duryea underframe for use as a replacement part for the P2K and or Bachmann cabins. That way you have buyers for your product. I myself would be interested in several frames. BTW the steps could be offered separately as replacement for broken or lost steps. That way it will keep the cost down for the people who only want the steps or the underframe but not both.

John Caples

Show Us 7 years 1 week ago #5904

• Rdgrail
  • Fireman
Okily dokily, I will work on this then over the summer, as well as the conversion kit for the P2K caboose.

Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robin
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

November 14, 1948
Service on the "Schuylkill" Main Line train to Pottsville is inaugurated.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements