FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Symbol Freight Trains on the Bethlehem Branch

Symbol Freight Trains on the Bethlehem Branch 11 years 2 weeks ago #1103

• Potamus
  • Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone can give a list of symbol freights run on the RDG's Bethlehem Branch in the late 60's. I am trying to model the Bethlehem Branch and would like to set-up and name my trains. My search so far has uncovered the following, but I'm not sure the information is right.

Train XB24 - night ore train from Port Richmond to Bethlehem

Train BX3 - early morning empty ore train from Bethlehem to Port Richmond

Train PB-1: Through Freight from Phila to Bethlehem. No info on times, loads, size of train etc..

Train PB-3: Through Freight from Phila to Bethlehem. No info on times, loads, size of train etc.. Train ????:

Bethlehem Ore extra - day run

Train ????: Local freight

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Potamus

E-mail potamus
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Symbol Freight Trains on the Bethlehem Branch 11 years 2 weeks ago #1104

• JoannaBill
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 63
I'll take a crack at this for you. First off,XB24 amd BX3 ran from Abrams Yard to Bethlehem (Saucon Creek). According to Bob Wise, XB23 ran on the Stony Creek Branch to Lansdale. Have to say that I doubt the focus was Iron Ore, but there could have been a significant amount of Limestone off of the Chester Valley Branch.

Trains from Port Richomond were Pb1 and BP2. As far as I know, BP3. etc. were gone by the mid 60's. Ore trains would not have symbols, but would be known as Extra3640 West (East). There was a local freight, Traveling Shifter in Reading parlance) that ran from Saucon to Oreland and return. Movement data I have from July through September of 1967 confirms that cars for Quakertown, Perkasie, Coopersburg Souderton and even Hatfield were routed to Suacon from points west of Allentown. Locals would have been extra as well.

I recommend "Reading Diesels Volume 2" and F.D.&S. "A Journeys End" articles for background info.

Symbol Freight Trains on the Bethlehem Branch 11 years 2 weeks ago #1105

• JoannaBill
Potamus, Extras were identified by engine number, i.e. a traveling shifter with RS-3 471 would have been Extra471.

Symbol Freight Trains on the Bethlehem Branch 11 years 2 weeks ago #1107

"1970 Freight Schedules" accessible under the "Articles" tab is a fascinating interactive display of many of the freight movements. Try it, you will be amazed, for it not only shows Bethlehem Branch runs, but routes for the whole system.

When the genius (respectfully stated) who did this one has time, I suppose one for 1965 (or 1960, or 1950, or...) could be coded and posted, too.

I hope the basic information is still around to be able to construct these. If I recall, there was some kind of listing on the Anthracite Yahoo! group that supplemented the one here.

George Nelson

Symbol Freight Trains on the Bethlehem Branch 11 years 2 weeks ago #1108

• JoannaBill
A listing for 1950's or 1960 is possible working from employee timetables. I have attached a pdf from the april 25, 1954 Reading Divison Timetable

Symbol Freight Trains on the Bethlehem Branch 11 years 2 weeks ago #1109

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
WindsorSpring, I am that "genius" - I actually have a copy of the full 1968 Freight Schedule that I'm thinking about posting one of these days; however, there are not many differences between the 1968 and 1970 version that is currently on line.

If anyone has a copy of an earlier schedule book (as opposed to the schedule info that's included in a timetable) and is willing to loan it for a time, I'd be most willing to consider reviewing and posting online.

In addition, I'd be very interested if anyone has CLASSIFICATION guidelines in their collection that they'd be willing to share - the Reading used to compile a book that actually gave blocking instructions for trains - (ie 1st block Reading, 2nd block Lebanon, 3rd block Rutherford and beyond, etc.) that would be most helpful for modelers. I'd LOVE to see that info and get it online...

Tom
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: WindsorSpring
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

July, 1956
The connection between the Reading Belt Line and the Lebanon Valley Branch near Reading enters service.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements