FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Green Machine 3640

Green Machine 3640 9 years 7 months ago #3444

Can anybody confirm for certain, or have a picture of the roof of this unit, does it have the number on the cab roof, like the GP40-2's? The pics I have seen and the slides I have, I can't be certain. A fellow modeler asked me, and I am ready to decal this unit myself. After all, I only painted it about six years ago.....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Green Machine 3640 9 years 7 months ago #3445

• 2771-chris
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 94
Roof numbers were applied to 3640.If you go to railfan.net rdg forum there is a thread concerning the restoration of 3640.On page 22 of the topic there are pictures of the roof where you can see the outline of the numbers through the Conrail blue paint.The bottom of the numbers point to the short hood front.
Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by 2771-chris. Reason: spell check

Green Machine 3640 9 years 7 months ago #3450

I thought so, but I couldn't be certain these old eyes weren't fooling me. My other modeling friend also picked out a picture in one of the many Reading books I have, the unit is also the second unit in the consist, it appears to have the numbers, but the distance, it's hard to confirm. Don't ask me what book, my friend Chris knows my library better than I do, I have to use him as an index reference. I thank you for the reply.

Green Machine 3640 9 years 7 months ago #3451

• Rob
  • Thank you received: 57
I can confirm this as I visually inspected 3640 upon its arrival in Leesport. I have photos "somewhere"
Rob

Green Machine 3640 9 years 7 months ago #3456

What other Reading repaints might have the rooftop numbers? In all my various pictures, there's not a lot of "down on" shots. I have heard that 614 and 449 and several switcher repaints also had the numbers added. I have a half dozen shots of 614 in fresh paint, but can't see the roof on any of them. There was a Bee Liner issue that had this info, but I don't think it had photos to prove it. I'll be checking the archives for that one...

Green Machine 3640 9 years 6 months ago #3477

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
NTJ...according to publications by the RCT&HS all the RDG repaints received roof numbers.The only green units without were the MP15's&39-2's.
Now,the trick is to find out how they were applied...width wise or length wise.
Example;
When I first modeled 614 I applied the nos. width wise on the roof.

This turned out to be incorrect.On the RCT&HS forum I was sent a picture of 614 which clearly showed the correct application.I made the correct change to my model as illustrated in the following picture.

Unit number 1519 was the first RDG repaint.If you have access to Mr. Gottschall's book(The RDGRR Green Machines)on page 3 you can make out the length wise application on the roof of 1519.Another photo of this application can be found on page348 of Mr.Holton's book(The RDG RR Vol.II).On this page there is a picture of 2711 at Rupert with the nos. applied length wise.The bottom of the numbers face to the engineer's side of the cab.
My conclusions on the repaint application of roof numbers for modeling purposes is this;
The first unit 1519 was released 09/06/72,2714 release was 12/31/73 this makes me believe that all the units done between these dates had their roof numbers applied length wise.Units 3640 and 2763 were done in Aug.74 and since the SW1001's&40-2's were delivered in Nov. and Dec. of 73 with the width wise application these two units would have it applied the same.Yes,the evidence is clear on 3640,but some are not too sure on the 2763.
I chose to model the roof numbers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nite Train James
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

March 1, 1948
The "Wall Street" begins service between Philadelphia and Jersey City, hauled by new G-3 Pacific locomotives and featuring new two-toned green cars.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements