FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Foreign power on the Reading

Foreign power on the Reading 8 years 8 months ago #4665

Hello Everyone...It's been quite some time since I've posted here. Just been spending way too much time on the job working to put wealth in someone else's pocket...for a slowly shrinking paycheck. (we all know how that one works) And dealing with a raging sciatic nerve that has finally calmed down...as a result I haven't been doing a lot of model railroading. Now it's time to get back on that horse.
Thinking of the Reading...in Reading in their final days before Conrail...aside from those railroads that directly connected with the Reading (WM, CNJ, NYC/PC, EL...etc). What other railroads may have had power wandering into the Reading area on occasion. I was 15 in 1976 when Conrail started and didn't get into RR photography till 1978. I simply don't remember any foreign power at all just before 1976.
Just curious more than anything
Mark H
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Foreign power on the Reading 8 years 8 months ago #4666

• Riggelweg
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 19
I thought I read or heard somewhere that the D&H had rights on the Lebanon Valley. Maybe someone who is less dumb than me knows something about this.

Foreign power on the Reading 8 years 8 months ago #4667

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
after the 1972 formation of Chessie System, all three of the railroads units could be seen on the Reading, also Reading units could be seen on the Chessie on lines between Pa. and Chicago.
Butch Curll

Foreign power on the Reading 8 years 8 months ago #4668

• DSpohn
  • Brakeman
  • Thank you received: 7
Don't forget the occasional necessary detour due to accident or natural disaster. I have a picture in my mind of an Erie train on the Reading but don't recall where I saw it. Nay-sayers have a tendency to say this or that never happened, but "Never" is a long time and all it takes is one picture to disprove.

Foreign power on the Reading 8 years 8 months ago #4670

• t1nut
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 55
2 different hurricanes in the early to mid 1950's there were detours,
probably if Erie it would be Bloomsburg, and Rupert areas.
Butch Curll

Foreign power on the Reading 8 years 8 months ago #4671

• LNE-401
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 68
Mark,

I Thought this was an interesting question, although I model much earlier, worth looking into. I went off to my "archives" and found some interesting photos to share, along with a specific area of the Reading system to research deeper for your curiosity. The photos I uploaded are as follow,
1) WM 236 4-25-72 on the PH&P branch FD&S Vol.9 No.2
2) CNJ 2504, RDG 3608 9-10-75 Steel City PA on the Lehigh Valley trackage
FD&S Vol.10 No.1&2
3) RDG 3805, B&O 3843 2-26-76 Philadelphia, Train NE 87 FD&S Vol.1 No.3
4) RDG 5210, Chessie 4112, RDG 3623 6-23-73 Port Kennedy Train
Westbound NE 84 FD&S Vol.1 no.3
5) WM 29, RDG Trainmaster 3-5-61 Carlisle Jct FD&S Vol.2 No.3&4

Lastly, don't forget the CNJ, especially in and around the Outer Station, and also Jim Herzog wrote an article as other members mentioned on detour trains. This appeared in the May 2007 issue of RMC. The bottom line in my quest to this answer yielded the PH&P branch is the place to look!

Bill
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December, 1947
Construction begins at the Reading Locomotive Shops on ten new G-3 Pacific passenger steam locomotives. These locomotives will be the last Pacific-type engines built in the United States.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements