FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: NRHS Penn Jersey Sept. 1947 trip-Pic locations

NRHS Penn Jersey Sept. 1947 trip-Pic locations 8 years 6 months ago #4837

• HHS
  • Fireman
  • Thank you received: 40
Good Day,
Attached is the rail fan trip announcement ny the Phila. NRHS & Penn-Jersey Railroad Club for a trip on September 21st 1947.

My father was on this trip, I recently found two pictures and his ticket for the trip, with the announcement.

As you will read there where four picture stops.
My question is where where the two pictures taken.
The top one is W&N I think, the curve and embankment to me would be Granouque, DE.

The bottom one with the water tower I could not guess.

Power for the trip was G1sb #200.

Thank you all in advance.

Hugh Sinn

9-21-47NRHSPenn-JerseyRDGRailfanpg2.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NRHS Penn Jersey Sept. 1947 trip-Pic locations 8 years 6 months ago #4838

• HHS
  • Fireman
The four locations:

Perkiomen Branch-Vera Cruz
Reading Shops
W&N Isabella
W&N Granoque, DE

The announcement did not transfer.
Hugh

NRHS Penn Jersey Sept. 1947 trip-Pic locations 8 years 6 months ago #4845

• tomjacobs
  • Superintendent
  • Thank you received: 37
I believe there's also a large curve at Vera Cruz on the Perk, but at the moment I'm not sure of the orientation...
Tom Jacobs
Webmaster
The Reading Modeler
www.readingmodeler.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: HHS

NRHS Penn Jersey Sept. 1947 trip-Pic locations 8 years 6 months ago #4853

After the Perkiomen Branch emerges from Dillinger Tunnel on the north side, it curves to the east as it approaches Vera Cruz. It makes nearly a 90 degree change in direction. (First attachment)

East of Vera Cruz, there is a 180 degree change in direction as the line goes from one ridge to the other. (Second attachment)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: HHS

NRHS Penn Jersey Sept. 1947 trip-Pic locations 8 years 6 months ago #4859

• HHS
  • Fireman
Well, ironic.
Sat down tonight with a glass of wine and Ben Bernhart's book on the Reading's MIGHTY Pacifics.
Lo and behold is a picture of # 200 at Isabella curve, on another outing in 1947!

Now, what drink and what book do I have to find the water tank..

Hugh
200atIsabellacurve-Scan10003800x624.jpg
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by HHS.
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

January 1, 1955
The Reading begins Trailer-on-Flatcar (TOFC) service between Philadelphia and Chicago in cooperation with the WM, P&WV, and NKP (the "Alphabet Route").

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements