FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.

TOPIC: RDG on the LV

RDG on the LV 8 years 4 months ago #4906

• crrcoal
  • Brakeman
Other than the Allentown/Bethlehem area, were there any other locations on the LVRR where Reading power could be found? Any instances of Reading having to detour over the LVRR? Thank you!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RDG on the LV 8 years 4 months ago #4907

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Great topic. And the reverse could be a follow up... Oh where, oh where might the LV power have roamed on the Reading?

I am not sure of the timing for the "Aldene Plan" that diverted Reading Passenger trains onto the Lehigh Valley, but if it wasn't pure RDC's by then a few passenger diesels may have wandered over there.

I also seem to recall a photo of Reading freight power coming down that connection in one of the books I have.

I have seen photos of an LV caboose on the north end of the Perkiomen Branch, what about power?0

RDG on the LV 8 years 4 months ago #4908

• 2771-chris
  • Thank you received: 94
When the LV took over JC operations in Pa they were power short an often borrowed RDG power.Illustrations can be found in two good publications.
First is the book A Lehigh Gorge Pictoral part of the Flags Diamonds & Statues published by the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society,Inc.
On page 43 it shows LV's train NE84 powered by RDG 3647/46 and a geep 30.The picture was taken at Bridgeport on July 4 1972 by Dave Augsburger.
The second can be found on page 87 of Lehigh Valley in Color Vol.6.Published by Morning Sun and authored by Mike Bednar.It show NE84 again powered by RDG 3633/31 and RS3 503.First picture shows the train coming off the Mountain-Cutoff at Coxton.The other picture shows the train at Pittston.Both were taken by Ed Miller.
Seems during 72 and the first half of 73,because of LV's power shortage,RDG power could be found pulling LV trains.Don't know if any of the RDG power made it all the way to Buffalo on LV trains but maybe someone else might know.Hope the info helps.

RDG on the LV 8 years 4 months ago #4909

• crrcoal
  • Brakeman
Yes very helpful thank you very much! I will have to add those two books to my library.

At the BET both Rdg and LV engines were serviced--any other examples where the two were serviced together?

Thank you!

RDG on the LV 8 years 4 months ago #4934

• JoannaBill
  • Thank you received: 63
No doubt that there were other instances, but I understand that the alley "borrowed" that power from the Bethlehem Engine Terminal, not a formal arrangement. MOre likely, they new when it came in and when it would be leaving. IIRC, MIke Bednar commented that the turned the power at Coxton/Wilkes Barre so the Reading had it back when needed.

As far as the Aldene Plan, I think it was 1967. RDG/LV also crossed near Manville NJ.

RDG on the LV 7 years 11 months ago #5250

• glenonoko
  • Apprentice
  • Thank you received: 5
Possibly the all-time most exotic offline operation of Reading steam power involved the Reading's haulage of B&O passenger trains over the Lehigh Valley and PRR in northern New Jersey from 1918 to 1926. The details are in Herb Harwood's book on the "Royal Blue Line". As most folks know, the B&O's Royal Blue trains ran over the Reading and CNJ between Philadelphia and Jersey City for most of the years from 1886 to 1958. For the first several decades, Reading locomotives hauled the B&O trains between Philadelphia and Jersey City. However, starting April 28, 1918, the B&O trains were rerouted to run to and from Penn Station in Manhattan, instead of Jersey City, but still using Reading engines between Philadelphia and North Jersey. The trains ran up the Reading's New York Division, but instead of getting on the CNJ at Bound Brook Jct, they instead got on the Lehigh Valley at Manville, ran up the LV main line to Newark, then took the connection to the PRR main, running through Newark station to Manhattan Transfer station east of Newark where the Reading engines were swapped for PRR DD-1 electrics which took the trains through the Hudson River Tunnel to Penn Station and eventually Sunnyside Yard. This operation lasted until 1926 when the B&O moved back to the original route to Jersey City, and at the same time changed to using B&O engines all the way. So for 8 years, Reading RR Pacifics hustled B&O expresses over the LV, mixed in the busy scene at Manhattan Transfer and were serviced at the PRR's Meadows engine terminal. Harwood's book has one photo of a RDG Pacific (#108) at speed on the LV at Aldene, and one wonders if there are any other photos around of Reading engines in this service.

-- Rick Bates
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

January 1, 1955
The Reading begins Trailer-on-Flatcar (TOFC) service between Philadelphia and Chicago in cooperation with the WM, P&WV, and NKP (the "Alphabet Route").

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements