FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
What's the difference between a GP40-2 and GP39-2? What year did the Reading dieselize? How many tracks were in Rutherford Yard? This board focuses on a discussion of questions or issues concerning the "prototype" Reading Company and its predecessors. While the aim of this board is to serve as a resource for prototype information for modeling purposes, general discussion and sharing of knowledge is also encouraged.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Port Kennedy Branch Track Scheme

Port Kennedy Branch Track Scheme 6 years 8 months ago #5977

Richard Jahn posted a 1973 photo of a short train on the Main Line near Port Kennedy on the ARHS Facebook page. The photo shows the train on the #1 track of the four-track Main Line with Sullivan's Bridge and the Port Kennedy Station in the background.

Comments indicate the Port Kennedy Branch includes a siding on the right side of the picture that leads to a curve turning south in the distance right before the station. There is a crossover in the foreground that lets westbound trains on the #4 (southmost) track move to the siding.

What was the track configuration of the branch from that crossover to the west? Was there another connection to the #4 main track allowing westbound trains on the branch to return to the #4 main track? If so, how much further west was it (car lengths, yards)?

Refer to the attached diagram for clarification.
1973_Port_Kennedy_Track_Question.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Port Kennedy Branch Track Scheme 6 years 8 months ago #5978

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
According to a 1/4 mile sheet the track ended in an earth bumper about 650 feet west of the crossover. there was also a spur leading to a coal dock between the crossover and that bumper.

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: WindsorSpring

Port Kennedy Branch Track Scheme 6 years 8 months ago #5979

The orientation of the crossover means trains for the Port Kennedy branch would have to be shorter than 650 feet so they could clear the cross over.

Is it correct to assume trains serving the branch would be westbound (from Abrams or Norristown or ?)? Would they use the cross over to get the the siding and take it to the end. Then would they back into the branch. The caboose would have to be coupled behind the locomotive to allow dropping or picking up cars.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by WindsorSpring. Reason: clarification

Port Kennedy Branch Track Scheme 6 years 8 months ago #5980

• Rob
That would be my guess, or double up putting the cars on the branch. I think it would be close enough to Abrams yard to get permission to run the eastbound track to the Pt. Kennedy switch, but I am nor railroader so That is merely a guess.

Location of the caboose could vary depending on whether there was a runaround anywhere on the branch. I am not sure what shippers were on the branch. The Bernhart's Book II indicates that the branch meandered between three quarries.

The coal trestle appears to have had the track removed by the mid- thirties, however the track up to the trestle remained in place after that.
Begs for more research. -> Butch this is in your neck of the woods.

Port Kennedy Branch Track Scheme 6 years 8 months ago #5981

• Rob
I have seen a book at Iron Horse Hobbies in Reading called "The Railroads of King of Prussia" I believe.
That might have some info.??

Port Kennedy Branch Track Scheme 6 years 7 months ago #5985

• t1nut
  • Thank you received: 55
I don't remember the coal trestle, I do know there was a small passing siding where RT. 23 crossed the line, and remember seeing freight cars on the siding from time to time.
Butch Curll
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements