FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Franklin Street Station restored

Franklin Street Station restored 10 years 11 months ago #1369

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
For those who could not attend the open house of the recently renovated Franklin Street Station, here are a few photos. Also attached is a copy of the flyer that was handed out. Barta held two open house events, one on Saturday 11 and the second on Monday 13. I attended the second open house and, like everyone there, was very impressed with the renovation of the station. What a treat it was to see a significant piece of Reading (both the city’s and the railroad’s) history restored to its former glory.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rdg-barry, WindsorSpring, otiscnj

Franklin Street Station restored 10 years 11 months ago #1370

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
Attached is the flyer from Barta.

Last Edit: 10 years 11 months ago by MarkFJ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WindsorSpring, otiscnj

Franklin Street Station restored 10 years 11 months ago #1372

This posting brings some welcome information about details of Franklin Street Station, especially the color and pattern on the doors and windows.

Use as a bus station is not necessarily ideal from the rail fan point of view, but it is nonetheless a use that is in the spirit of its original design and construction. It gives assurance of appropriate use and maintenance.

George Nelson

Franklin Street Station restored 10 years 11 months ago #1412

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
Very nice!! Thanks to the City of Reading for keeping this gem alive!!
Thanks Mark for posting!
Thanks,
Barry

Franklin Street Station restored 10 years 11 months ago #1417

• Rob
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 57
Don't quote me because I could be totally wrong, but in my opinion the thanking should go to Berks County and BARTA. First I believe even BARTA stands for Berks Area Regional Transportation Authority now as the word Reading (as in B.A. Reading T.A.)has been removed since Reading can no longer afford to subsidize the authority and Berks County has taken it over. (As {I believe} is the case with the Airport, Antietam Lake, etc.) Thus the "new" BARTA is the responsible restoring agent.

Pretty much, the City of Reading probably can't afford to get a ticket out of the station. The thanks the city might be worthy of is that they managed to somehow not tear it down and the fire department managed to keep it from burning down until BARTA wrangled it to safety.

Franklin Street Station restored 10 years 11 months ago #1419

• MrBill
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 31
Thanks for posting the pics Mark. It does look nice. Too bad most of the "citizens" who will actually use it (on the regional dime) would have been just as happy to paint it orange and keep using it as a public toilet.
Rob is right on here. It is amazing they saved it. The Reading mayor's taxpayer funded frivelous legal fees could have paid for a huge chunk of it. That guy is competing with the likes of Dinkens, Barry, and ghetto bomber Goode in mayoral history.
I seem to recall a soda fountain in there at one time too.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

December 9, 1839
The entire Main Line of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad was opened.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements