FacebookTwitterDiggGoogle BookmarksRedditLinkedinRSS Feed
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The Caboose is a place for Reading Modeler members to hang out and discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily rail-related. Come on in, the coffee's hot and the conversation is stimulating!

TOPIC: Testors to discontinue Floquil and Pollyscale

Testors to discontinue Floquil and Pollyscale 10 years 11 months ago #1409

• MarkFJ
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 39
This notice is making its way around the various model forums, so I thought it prudent that it is posted here too.

Better stock up now before you favorite paints are gone!

Friday, May 17th, 2013

Dear Valued Partner,

I am writing to inform you about changes that are taking place at the Testor Corporation. For over 80 years, we have provided premium paints and finishing systems to the craft and hobby industry. Today, we announced that we are transforming our business in order to more effectively address the changing needs of our consumers and their interests.

We've made the decision to exit the following businesses within the
TestorR Brand family - PactraR, Floquil, PolyscaleR, and ColorArtzR. This will enable the Testor Corporation to
return to our foundation of success -- providing premium, innovative product that inspires creativity. We will continue to accept orders and ship product for a limited time based on available quantities.

Going forward, the following brands will be critical to our success
and development -- TestorR, Model Master^(TM), and AztekR. These
brands will be infused with marketing support, innovation and
operational efficiencies.

In support of this, we have announced a consolidation of operations at our Rockford facilities. Over the next several months we will provide updates critical to your order and delivery needs as well as product availability. We assure you there will be no disruption to service during this transition.

Our commitment to the Testor brand has never been stronger. By
implementing these changes, and the ability to leverage all of
Rust-Oleum's world class services, we are more strongly poised to take your business to the next level through product and merchandising innovations, and increased customer intimacy. Please contact me or your sales manager directly with any questions.

We appreciate your business!

Best Regards,
Kristin J
Director of Sales & Marketing

Also see
<www.rrstar.com/blogs/alexgary/x776191577...rations-cutting-jobs>
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Testors to discontinue Floquil and Pollyscale 10 years 11 months ago #1410

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
This begs the question then, how can we stock up and keep these paints from skunking or drying out? How long is the shelf life traditionally? I've never had floquils that long, and i livw by the brand. sad to hear the news, but will happily stock if I can keep them indefinitely

Testors to discontinue Floquil and Pollyscale 10 years 11 months ago #1415

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
sorry for my confusion, is Pollyscale and PollyS the same?
I use PollyS, the water based stuff for many projects. Also using more craft paint - works well and is much cheaper. When it's structures, the color match isn't as important.
Thanks,
Barry

Testors to discontinue Floquil and Pollyscale 10 years 11 months ago #1428

• Turboboost910
  • Conductor
  • Thank you received: 17
yes it is.

Testors to discontinue Floquil and Pollyscale 10 years 11 months ago #1430

• rdg-barry
  • Road Foreman of Engines
  • Thank you received: 44
OK, then this really sucks....!

here's some info I received via an email or two....

This is mostly true. Testors has announced they will stop production of Floquil and Pactra. They are eliminating all railroad colors. Scale Coat is not part of this announcement - they are a different company. There is, however, another company that has begun producing railroad colors that has the intent to soon begin selling direct and to hobby shops.

and-

Thanks for the heads up. I am passing it on to my friends in Michigan and Wisconsin.
I am not surprised the Testors Corp. is doing this for several reasons.
The Floquil paint currently on the market is not the same that was manufactured by the old Floquil company in New York. The old Floquil was lacquer based, the new is enamel based, like the paint Testors manufactures for all their other lines. The new paint is not as good as the old and many "old timers" complain about this.
We model railroaders are getting older so the market for paint is shrinking, unfortunately. According to hobby shop owners I have talked to in past years, there are fewer "model builders" so fewer people are buying paint. I can see this since I see many Floquil paint displays with empty color slots since the dealer is not reordering. Also, many people have switched brands because of the experiences with Testors.
Testors quality had slipped. I use their green metallic enamel (in the small bottles) to paint my insulators on the Rix telephone poles to get the green insulator color. I bought a new bottle a few years ago since I could not find the old bottle. The new color was different than the old. I did finally find the old bottle and did a paint match swatch and could see a distinct difference. I sent this to Testors and got a form letter back talking about their rigid quality control. Shortly after that I was at TRainFest in Milwaukee and talked to Ms. Schiro in the Testors booth. She wanted me to send the old bottle to her. No way. I sent her a sample sheet again. The only action I got was to get a letter and a new bottle of paint (same new color).
It is not surprising for a company to buy a competitor only to eventually swallow up the brand and discontinue it. I have seen this in many industries over the years (my Dad's paint company when through the same thing in the '60s)
I hate to be a wet blanket, but I doubt if there is much that can be changed with Testors based on my personal experience. My advice is to stock up while it is available. Paint will keep as long as thinner is not added to the original jar and air does not enter the jar. I have lots of old paint (including original Floquil) that I still use.

and this from an NMRA Super...
Greetings Fellow Modelers
I just received the below email from the President of the Ephrata PA Short Line Model Railroad Club - unbelievable! Please spred this to all your railroad, airplane, ship, and car modeling friends and see if we in the hobby can get this policy turned around. I certainly hope the NMRA will wade into this issue and help turn their decision around.
I just sent my letter to Ms Schiro and hope all of you and your modeling friends will do the same.
Thanks,
Barry
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

Today's Image

Did You Know?

April 12, 1962
The Reading purchases the first production GP30 (#5513) from EMD as part of initial order of 20 locomotives.

Downloads

Operations Information

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations related documents, etc. that may be of use in your modeling efforts.

Operations Paperwork

Click Here!A variety of Reading Company operations paperwork, such as train orders, clearance forms, etc. that will help you operate your Reading layout in a prototypical manner.

Timetables, Rulebooks, Etc.

Click Here!Public Timetables, Employe Timetables, and Rulebooks that provide much useful operational information.

Modeling Goodies

Click Here!Signs, billboards, and other FREE goodies for your use.  We ask only that you help spread the word about The Reading Modeler!

Rolling Stock Reference

Click Here!Downloadable reference documents on the various classes of Reading Company Freight and Passenger rolling stock.

Thanks for Your Support!

If you find the content on The Reading Modeler valuable, won't you please consider supporting our efforts? Your donation will help to offset operating costs and acquire new material to share on the site. Thank you!

Amount: 

Advertisements